Xtar D26 1600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wKkaY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just received this light and did a quick comparison to the classic D26. The body is a bit more matte and looks better to me. The switch lost the physical lock, it's now locked and unlocked through button press sequences. The switch travel is much smoother and defaults to turbo instead of high. There's a bit of corrugation around the barrel, which i don't really notice. The tail cap has one hole instead of two, making it easier to tie a bolt snap in the center. There's a blue elastic band near around the head that's removable.
20180904_213807.jpg

The 1600 is powered by a XHP35-HI compared to the XML2. The head heats up faster and I'm not sure if it's something to be concerned about.
20180904_213854.jpg

The 1600 (right) has a brighter and tighter hotspot. The beam looks to be a cool color, whereas I felt my previous one was slightly green.
20180904_214004.jpg

Spill angle of the 1600 (right) seems roughly the same as before, and it is slightly brighter.
20180904_214029.jpg 20180904_214040.jpg

Awesome! Thanks for posting that. I love my D26 and I didn't know about the new version. The XHP35 is badass.

[sound of feet running off to the Xtar store]

Okay, I can't find anywhere to actually buy it.

The xtar.cc site has a Buy button that takes me to Amazon, but the actual light is not there anywhere that I can see. Only the XM-L2 version.

Got a link?

Found on Alibaba.com and ordered. USD$75, with shipping.

Looks badass - did yours arrive yet Stuart? (might order same one thru Alibaba)
Based on yours (and others') older posts on the forum was literally getting ready to order the XM-L2 version from the AllmaybeDirect supplier on Amazon (which seems to be the only place left on amazon and where xtar.cc links onto) but then saw this post.

Bit confused by the specs though - description on xtar.cc says "wide visible angle up to 55 degrees" - they must be talking about the spill angle?

Yes, I think that must be the angle including spill.

I have not received mine yet. Based on the shipping info, I'm expecting it early next week. Too bad, too. I am leaving Thu to go up to the Saint Lawrence for wreck diving all weekend (and Adv Wreck class with @Trace Malinowski). It would have been nice to have that light in time for that. I guess my regular D26s will have to do.... :)

Alibaba XTAR D26 1600

Sorry to bother you, any chance you remember the exact page on Alibaba you bought it from (can't find it for $75 incl shipping)...bit confusing as there are at least 6 different listings for it. Seems now to be going for $89 + $7 shipping to the US (no battery/charger) or around $119 + $7 (set w/ battery and charger).

Guessing any of the listings will work but wanted to ask since price seems to be rising already!

Good comparison. Now, I'm thinking of getting the latest one also.

Mine was waiting for me when I got home last night. I compared it to my D26 and reached exactly the same conclusions as @wKkaY posted. Except, it appears to me that the spill on the new light is just slightly bigger. The main beam is definitely tighter and brighter.

Also, the body of the light appears to be just a little fatter. I may have to get the bigger size Oxycheq light sock for the new light. Have to check that tomorrow.

I like that the lock is no longer mechanical. The mechanical lock meant that I used to dive with my backup with the button locked. But I found that unlocking it while in the water, with gloves on, could sometimes be difficult. So then I tried diving it unlocked so it would be easy to deploy if I needed it. That resulted in turning it on by accident a lot. I think the non-mechanical lock could/should be better all around

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom