Xtar D26 1100 vs D26 1600 Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That 1100 looks like decent value. Any idea how current draw compares at max output? The 1600 is stated quite a bit longer burn time than the 1100 (2.5 vs 2.0), but at 600-650 lumen, the specs look more similar. Any idea whether that stated 2.5hr burn time is real?

I can't comment on that because I don't know the run times in real life. I believe @stuartv said the 1600 self dimmed after a while. I think for me it's not really an issue. Either light will last for 2 1hr dives easy, and if doing more I would just change the battery.

After reading the earlier longer thread on the 1600, it's still hard to know what to make of the output regulation of these lights. (Possibly confounded by QC and or evolving engineering changes). Early dimming seems like a warning sign. Not that a light isn't useful, or even awesome, within limits, but for burn time between charges that goes much beyond full time use on one dive, I'm intrigued whether these modestly priced single LED blazers can really fill that bill and retain intensity.

Just to update this review. I received my 1st D26 Whale on 09/14/19. As of this past weekend it's been on 75 dives, mostly fresh. The spring has rusted to the point it snapped to pieces. The inside of the cavity that the switch sits in cleaned up fine. Replacing with a new spring will bring it right back to life.

I'm sure somewhere along the lines I dove in salt and didn't do a great job at rinsing it. Noticed some rust dust around the switch took it apart and the spring crumbled. Waiting on an email from Xtar to say where I can buy replacement parts.

I do have a newer Xtar light somewhere that came with an extra spring, admittedly I can't seem to find it, but it seems they're sending an extra spring with their lights now?

Still really like the light.. it's been pretty bulletproof and I've taken it in some pretty mucky situations.

I have to admit that I haven't used one of my Xtar lights in a long time. For daytime dives, I now carry one of my (really old) DGX 600 lights, clipped to my harness. I rarely use a light during a day dive, so the lesser bulk is nicer.

For night dives, I normally take my camera, which has a focus light mounted on top. I use that for my primary illumination during night dives. So, again, I just have a DGX 600 clipped to my harness for backup. Two, actually.

For dives where I actually need a good light - like deep dives in dark water - I use a canister light. And still just have a DGX 600 clipped to my harness as a backup.

I have to admit that I haven't used one of my Xtar lights in a long time. For daytime dives, I now carry one of my (really old) DGX 600 lights, clipped to my harness. I rarely use a light during a day dive, so the lesser bulk is nicer.

For night dives, I normally take my camera, which has a focus light mounted on top. I use that for my primary illumination during night dives. So, again, I just have a DGX 600 clipped to my harness for backup. Two, actually.

For dives where I actually need a good light - like deep dives in dark water - I use a canister light. And still just have a DGX 600 clipped to my harness as a backup.

You should send me your switches / springs:p:D!!

My son dropped my other light and the "ear" that's on the switch snapped off inside. It still works but doesn't have the lock / unlock function anymore. I asked Xtar for both parts or at least where to buy them..

unnamed.png

Xtar got back to me. For the switch / spring combo it's $2.20. Shipping is $10 from China. No distribution in the US.

I'm good with all that. They were nice enough to throw a few extra springs in there for free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom