XT1 1st stage failed CLOSED at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would you really have been comfortable with a replacement, not knowing what the defect was?

Just a defect is a good explanation once you understand the defect.
There are quite a few of us watching this thread, looking for what happened. As a DM, I like to think I'd act, not react if mine failed. But I bought one for my newly certified daughter. Not knowing what happened concerns me about her future dives.

In all likelihood it was a 1 in a million failure and those of us with XT1's will be fine. But until we know what happened, we will all be diving with a little '?' in the back of our mind.

Would you really have been comfortable with a replacement, not knowing what the defect was?

Just a defect is a good explanation once you understand the defect.
I think so. Luckily, I have a pool so I always test my gear before taking it diving for real. I'd be curious what happened but I don't think it would turn me off of a particular model regulator entirely. If I had to choose sending it off for repair vs replacement with another brand new unit I think I would prefer replacement. Hopefully they'll diagnose this one, and send him a new replacement with some details as to what caused the problem.

@kelemvor the OP's friend reg would have passed your pool test.

Dang, I would like to have put a IP gauge on that one. Scary weird

I dive XT as my tech regs and am doing check out dives for some trimix students this weekend and will have no doubt in my mind about the regs working, if a one off failure will make you doubt your equipment I can find that for almost any reg made- from Scubapro bottom turrents coming off of new regs to weird acting Apek first stages does it mean that the reg design is bad - no it does not it means that as will all things mechanical they sometimes break. Check your gear and go dive- have adequate training to deal with the surprises.

I dive XT as my tech regs and am doing check out dives for some trimix students this weekend and will have no doubt in my mind about the regs working, if a one off failure will make you doubt your equipment I can find that for almost any reg made- from Scubapro bottom turrents coming off of new regs to weird acting Apek first stages does it mean that the reg design is bad - no it does not it means that as will all things mechanical they sometimes break. Check your gear and go dive- have adequate training to deal with the surprises.

The issue is not the failure but the cause. Perhaps the reg design is bad!!!

Dang, I would like to have put a IP gauge on that one. Scary weird

Probably would have read zero.
The 2nd stage purge buttons were pressed and the power inflator inflate button was pressed.

It will be interesting to hear DR's findings.

Last edited:
Yes, would agree. Like many I am following this thread hope to hear something.

Will post the full results from DR shortly.

Short answer, as relayed from the dealer (I did not talk to DR directly) is that the area around the HP orifice was out of spec which allowed movement that shutdown the airflow.

They have no idea how the defect happened.

There is no way to check if this is an issue in your reg besides sending it back to DR for them to inspect.

However, if it hasn't failed on you at depth yet, you're probably OK.

Last edited:
Placeholder

Back
Top Bottom