XS SeaAir trimetal regs; sticky flow adjustment knob

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhlee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The only complaint I have about this reg is that the flow adjustment knob is very sticky and hard to turn. I rinse the regs in warm freshwater after each dive day and turn the knob to agitate any salt or sediment, but this hasn't really helped. The knob is sticky enough that it is more or less necessary to take the reg out of my mouth and get two hands on it to adjust, which is less than ideal.

Does anybody have experience with this problem (or rather overcoming it) and/or have any suggestions?

thanks.

Although I don't own one I have setup and dove one. I also noticed that the knob was a little sticky. I think that they are all a little different. One thing I did not try is lubricating the o-ring inside. You may want to consider asking your local tech (or yourself) to try that.

Do you know how I could get to that o-ring? Or is this something best left to a tech? I took it into the LDS where I got them from, and the only thing they suggested was to wash it thoroughly and spray silicone lubricant onto it while working the knob (both were tried, neither has solved the problem).

Unfortunately, some 'technicians' are as useless as the people who go to them for help. I would try another place and ask them to lubricate the o-ring for you. Unfortunately in order to get to the o-ring it involves pulling the hose of, then loosening the nut, and the entire chamber will come out. Not something easily described. And the fact that they recommend silicone before cristo lube kinda says that they might not be the best place to go.

rescuediver009:
... And the fact that they recommend silicone before cristo lube kinda says that they might not be the best place to go.
Why cristo-lube v. silicone grease on a rec reg?

Christolube is just plain a much better lubricant than the old silicones. Regulators often will perform measureably better when Christolube is used instead of silicone. So many reg manufacturers now recommend if for all round reg lubrication, not just O2 service, and most good techs use it regardless.

Some manufacturers, BTW, recommend using a food safe anti-seize lubricant on the adjuster knob rather than just grease, especially when its metal-to-metal.

Oh, and spray silicone is virtually useless - even if it effects a temporary improvement it's too thin, and washes out too easily, to have any lasting value. So tryng to fix it with spray silicone is an incredibly weak response on the part of the shop - they should have at the very least opened it and made sure it was clean and properly lubed inside.

DivesWithTurtle:

rescuediver009:
Although I don't own one I have setup and dove one. I also noticed that the knob was a little sticky. I think that they are all a little different. One thing I did not try is lubricating the o-ring inside. You may want to consider asking your local tech (or yourself) to try that.

We have set-up a number of these regulators. Unfortunately, I don't think you will get much success with lubricating the o-rings in the regulator. We have looked and looked to try to determine why this knob sticks. We have been unable to determine an exact cause. This may just be one of those design issues that you have to live with on this regulator. If I remember correctly, this problem has existed even prior to XS Scuba purchasing the regulator. Thanks.

Phil Ellis
Dive Sports Online
www.divesports.com
(800) 601-DIVE

oxyhacker:
Christolube is just plain a much better lubricant than the old silicones. Regulators often will perform measureably better when Christolube is used instead of silicone. So many reg manufacturers now recommend if for all round reg lubrication, not just O2 service, and most good techs use it regardless.

Some manufacturers, BTW, recommend using a food safe anti-seize lubricant on the adjuster knob rather than just grease, especially when its metal-to-metal.

Oh, and spray silicone is virtually useless - even if it effects a temporary improvement it's too thin, and washes out too easily, to have any lasting value. So tryng to fix it with spray silicone is an incredibly weak response on the part of the shop - they should have at the very least opened it and made sure it was clean and properly lubed inside.

Thanks, Vance.

I thought Cristolube ($$$) was only used for high O2 applications.

I've had various folks do overhauls on my TX-100 over the years. The one guy who I thought did the best job overall had the adjuster knobs absolutely silky smooth. (Alas, he's not around anymore.) All of the other overhauls I've had done have left it a bit more clunky.

What kind of "food safe anti-seize lubricant" is appropriate? Do you have a brand name that is commonly used?

DivesWithTurtle:

oxyhacker:

Beat me to it...

Back
Top Bottom