XS Scuba Spring Straps...WOW!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I 'm thinking that they may be just an older version or something. Heck, I don't know. They are definitely different but I still really like them regardless. Maybe XS Scuba will chime in tomorrow and shed some light.

May want to post your question in the XS Scuba manufacturer's forum, too, in case they're not monitoring this thread.

Look like nice straps! I would consider an upgrade to my spring straps if they had more of a heel cup.

CompuDude:
May want to post your question in the XS Scuba manufacturer's forum, too, in case they're not monitoring this thread.

Look like nice straps! I would consider an upgrade to my spring straps if they had more of a heel cup.

I didn't find the heel cup necessary in the least. Reach down, pull the strap off. I can do this with not a trace of a problem in 5mm wet gloves and my dry gloves (when they aren't flooding...). Also means one less thing to potentially get entangled (as remote of a chance as that might be). All this said, my two current pairs of SS are DIY (just not by me!).

Rainer:
I didn't find the heel cup necessary in the least. Reach down, pull the strap off. I can do this with not a trace of a problem in 5mm wet gloves and my dry gloves (when they aren't flooding...). Also means one less thing to potentially get entangled (as remote of a chance as that might be). All this said, my two current pairs of SS are DIY (just not by me!).
True, not necessary at all, just appreciated, by me. I didn't like the feel of the thinner barrel-style spring straps on my achilles tendon, so I prefer the rubber cover/heel cup on the EZ Straps DiveSportsOnline has (and Apollo, if you want to pay their price). And the Apollo/EZ pull loops are nice, too, although the XS pull tabs seem like an acceptable substitute. (Can't hang 'em on a double ender by the pull tab, though, which I do with mine.)

CompuDude:
True, not necessary at all, just appreciated, by me. I didn't like the feel of the thinner barrel-style spring straps on my achilles tendon, so I prefer the rubber cover/heel cup on the EZ Straps DiveSportsOnline has (and Apollo, if you want to pay their price). And the Apollo/EZ pull loops are nice, too, although the XS pull tabs seem like an acceptable substitute. (Can't hang 'em on a double ender by the pull tab, though, which I do with mine.)

This was before you got the DS, though, right? I can't feel my SS through my DS boots at all...

Rainer:
This was before you got the DS, though, right? I can't feel my SS through my DS boots at all...
True, I formed this preference while diving wet. That said my current DS has integrated boots that aren't much different from my wetsuit booties, from a thickness/cushioning standpoint.

I'm getting a different suit soon, though, and I'll be in rock boots, and I suspect it wouldn't matter nearly as much with those. Still, no reason to change and spend more money until something happens to my current spring straps.

Hey GBB:
You're correct, the image posted below are of the latest version. Look at the red arrow, you'll see additional holes have been added to the "Large Post" and "Small Post" buckles. Also, four more stainless steel bolts and ny-lock nuts are included with the kit. You can see in the image, that the new additional bolts prevent the stainless steel buckles from having "slop". Now the buckles are prevented from moving in & out and forward & back on the post. Actually, this was a good idea from James Volk who is a manager for Underwater Sports (a chain of dive stores based in Seattle). I have a few of the new version buckles somewhere in my desk. If you give me a call I'll hook you up with the new buckles. They're real easy to swap out. 866 977-2822.

Georgia bubble blower:
I 'm thinking that they may be just an older version or something. Heck, I don't know. They are definitely different but I still really like them regardless. Maybe XS Scuba will chime in tomorrow and shed some light.

Attachments

• DSC00868sm.jpg
    DSC00868sm.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 85
XS Scuba:
Hey GBB:
You're correct, the image posted below are of the latest version. Look at the red arrow, you'll see additional holes have been added to the "Large Post" and "Small Post" buckles. Also, four more stainless steel bolts and ny-lock nuts are included with the kit. You can see in the image, that the new additional bolts prevent the stainless steel buckles from having "slop". Now the buckles are prevented from moving in & out and forward & back on the post. Actually, this was a good idea from James Volk who is a manager for Underwater Sports (a chain of dive stores based in Seattle). I have a few of the new version buckles somewhere in my desk. If you give me a call I'll hook you up with the new buckles. They're real easy to swap out. 866 977-2822.

customer service at its finest.

Tamas:
too bad you don't have a version where only the old-school buckle is included to cut down on the price a bit, frankly the other 2 stlyes will be no use to me :( for this application

Just a guess, but Likely it would not drop the price, as the logistical costs of manufacturing, stocking, distributing three different products would offset any savings from not having a couple of extra buckles in there. I don't think $55 is dramatically different price than any of the other spring straps that only come with one buckle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom