XS Scuba MiFlex Hose FAILURE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you buy from "on-line" vendors that don't have actual brick and mortar stores you sometimes get aged product... o-rings are rubber, rubber ages (quicker if its not used). I am a little upset at your initial post because this was NOT a hose failure!!!! and you had me all freaked out because I just got a new mi-flex long hose for my side mount kit.... and really... it is all very possible that YOU pinched the o-ring when assembling it.

Please, no more public service announcements concerning things that really are not broken !!!!

Why did you not swap out the bad hose with the rental regs hose?

Because I am not going to disassemble the dive operations equipment on a packed dive boat with only having a 15 minute surface interval....

---------- Post added July 14th, 2015 at 03:05 PM ----------

When you buy from "on-line" vendors that don't have actual brick and mortar stores you sometimes get aged product... o-rings are rubber, rubber ages (quicker if its not used). I am a little upset at your initial post because this was NOT a hose failure!!!! and you had me all freaked out because I just got a new mi-flex long hose for my side mount kit.... and really... it is all very possible that YOU pinched the o-ring when assembling it.

Please, no more public service announcements concerning things that really are not broken !!!!

Apologies Imbodie, I hope you can see it from my perspective that the o-ring, being so new, is seen as being a component of the hose. Therefore I see such an early failure of a component of the hose as (somewhat of) a hose failure.

I take great care when installing hoses. It would be extremely unlikely that I pinched it.

I understand how you could think that an o-ring and a hose are one unit.... but the question is, how long did those o-rings sit on a shelf with your hose before ending up with the on-line vendor who sold them to you??

o-rings are considered a consumable, that is why we carry save a dive kits... I have a pressure washer that I pinched an o-ring on... it happens... didn't used it 3 days and had a leak and I like you was careful when I installed the pressure hose. That doesn't mean that I went to a pressure washer forum and posted that my pressure washer failed with 3 days of use....

Just trying to add the perspective that an o-ring failing IS NOT a hose failing.

Tim

I won't call it Miflex's fault at yet. Miflex package has Velcro closure. It is not unreasonable for any shop to open the package, test fit the hose on regulators when a customer walk in and want to try different length Miflex hose. Doing it more than a few time with a no so careful shop employee can easily cause some o-ring damage. I am not saying this is what happen, but based on this, it is hard to fault Miflex as the hose has changed hand more than a few times. If your hose come straight from Miflex manufacture, then you can still call it bad QC

The main point of the post is the fact that I shouldn't have to be dealing with a burst O-ring on my third dive with the hose.

I bought the hose on Amazon because I was buying it along with a Pinnacle wetsuit that my local dive shop didn't have.

My plan of action is to get a new O-ring, so it wont be a huge loss.

And yes, of course, I inspected and lubed it when I got it in the mail.

If you inspected and lubed it when you received it and you didn't notice anything wrong then is it not possible that the seller did the same i.e inspected it and like you found nothing wrong? Short of being a fortune teller I'm not sure how this could have been avoided. Stuff happens.

---------- Post added July 15th, 2015 at 04:11 AM ----------

To add, I imagine they use the same O rings for all their hoses so it's just unlucky as opposed to a QC issue.

Because I am not going to disassemble the dive operations equipment on a packed dive boat with only having a 15 minute surface interval....

---------- Post added July 14th, 2015 at 03:05 PM ----------

Apologies Imbodie, I hope you can see it from my perspective that the o-ring, being so new, is seen as being a component of the hose. Therefore I see such an early failure of a component of the hose as (somewhat of) a hose failure.

I take great care when installing hoses. It would be extremely unlikely that I pinched it.
Be careful of those 15-minute surface intervals...

Miflex hoses haven't existed long enough for o rings on them to be dry rotted... But o rings do fail and especially if installed wrong or if your reg is loose and then tightened under pressure...

And this is coming from a guy who had two Miflex hoses blow up :)

The o ring is so cheap that I'm in the habit of asking people I divr with if they have a few spares and if not, I have some baggies with 010 and 003 o rings for them to take.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gee. An o-ring failure. I've only seen that on cheap dive equipment. And on my car, my motorcycles, my air conditioner, my rifle...

Back
Top Bottom