XS Scuba Miflex Hose FAILURE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try stretching the remaining o-ring to see if it's crispy/cracking. If not, user install error.

I like the hose to only be hand tightened to the second stage for my tech rigs. If I am careless and start the dive with the hose backed off, it might very well start leaking during the dive. If I simply tighten the hose down at that point, it cuts the o-ring in a manner similar to the pictures you posted. I have learned to turn off the tank, depressurize the system, fully back off the hose and then re-attach. You won't cut the o-ring that way and ruin your dive. Since I dive side mount a lot, this is not a big issue for me.

On OW regulators, taking care of the situation is much harder since you only have one tank. Consequently, I snug the hose down with a wrench to keep it from ever backing off. Don't overdo it and use two wrenches in order to keep from cracking a plastic bodied reg. You don't need much pressure to keep it from backing off: just a snug.

I have seen this happen, even had it happen to me before. Basically when the 2nd stage is installed, sometimes the O-ring gets pushed out of the grove, then when it is screwed in, gets cut by the threads. It's one of those "It happens" type things. I agree that just having a few spare .010 rubber O-rings & a pick would fix the problem in about 2 min.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom