Xdeep Zeos vs mix and match (Previous Rig)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

double_dd

New
Reaction score
Firstly I've been out of diving a couple of years and in that time I sold some of my kit because it wasn't being used (but also because it wasn't suitable).

My previous rig (pic below) was an OMS stainless backplate with basic harness. For weight I added some large OMS trim pockets which allowed me to carry 6kg, threaded onto the waistband and bungeed to the BP itself which worked really well (and was super comfy). I had an Apeks 40lb wing but this is one of those items which I thought was too large as I only dived singles. I sold the wing and trim pockets.

Fast forward and I'm in a position to get back into diving more regularly and I'm looking for a new setup. I was looking at the Xdeep Zeos standard package but wanted some opinions.

1) Do I keep my existing SS BP and buy a new wing (still xdeep Zeos) and OMS or similar trim pockets again?

2) Do I go all in on the Xdeep package + weight pockets and get it all fresh so I know it all works together and sell my current BP? (this option will probably cost the same as buying additional items for existing BP/Harness because I need to buy STA and cambands)

3) I was looking at the 28lb Zeos as I dive singles - is this correct based on the below points or would 38lb be better? (bearing in mind I thought the 40lb apeks wing was too big and flappy)
- I will be diving most likely alu cylinders abroad with 6kg weight for seawater
- When diving UK I will be using steel cyclinders and drysuit and typically use 6-8kg weight for fresh water

Cost is a factor as obviously I don't want to waste money for the sake of it but it's neither here nor there for a hundred quid if that makes sense.

Cheers in advance!

pic:
bp-trim-pocket.jpg

Just get a new 26 to 30 lb wing for your existing back plate & harness, that's all you will need for a single tank setup.

Unless you are diving in UK oceans where you want a bigger one without being flappy

What would you suggest? anything bigger than 32lb is no doubt going to be a bit of flap for single cyl tropical but without buying 2 wings not sure it's possible
You won't need anything bigger than a 30 lb wing for single tank diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom