XDEEP Black BT Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I should be more specific: The Black has the log information on the device but not in UDDF format. In the dive log mode there is an option to create a UDDF file from the log information; this file can then be drag and dropped into MacDive when connected via USB. It's very simple, just requires a few button pushes. My guess is they don't auto create UDDF files to save memory, but I don't know for certain.

Just want to say that firmware updates are possible via a Mac also no problem, I had seen only reference to PC a lot of places. After dropping the new firmware file on the Black as described in the manual, make sure you not only eject the disk but also physically unplug the USB before rebooting via the menu selection. I damn near bricked mine and then realized because the battery is not removable there is no way I know of to reboot the device if not able to get to that menu, and I almost couldn't!!! All good now though:)

Maybe someone at Xdeep will read this someday... :rofl3:

I have this BT and it's really one of the nicest gadget I ever had but after nearly three months of diving with it I can give here a small recap on its cons. and maybe some suggestion to them.

Temperature

Now, the latest update has solved everything was previously reported. Maybe their temp compensation algorithm still needs some refinement. the CPU used is so powerful that is capable to heat the device giving false values. They implemented a sw temperature correction that works. Actually I still get slightly different values from my Sensus Ultra.

Buttons

They get pressed accidentally, continuosly. You have to put the device exactly in the middle of your arm otherwise when you bend your arm for whatever reason the get pushed and you find your display on another screen. Nothing dramatic but really annoying. Now I'm diving with a pscr and on the same arm I have the O2 monitor so it's really a PITA. I should try the latest sw feature added: you can disable the button underwater. I did not try but I need to be in control for stopwatch and average depth.

KeyPressing combinations

I think the the Liquivision Xen way is far more efficient. To reset the timer/avg. depth you have:
- short press of left button to bring the menu
- one or two short press of right button to choose the "reset timer" option
- one long press fo right button to confirm.
It's really too long.

disclaimer - My eye sight is 11/10 but I'm in the forties so size matters.

Layout/fonts

Layout and fonts are really nice but some info are really too small. You can set a custom color for everything on screen through some very counterintuitive menu. There's no way to move things around (custom layout) or changing dimensions. You have to stick with three layouts: full - simple - minimum. Unfortunately for (us) tech divers we would like having "full" because it's the only one with timer and average depth.
In this layout I find that these info are displayed really too small. IMHO their error was to rely only on the wonderful screen resolution. Unfortunately even if your display resolution permits to draw 1 mm letters it doesn't mean they are eye readable.
Moreover in this layout they WASTE a lot of space for their "state-of-the art VSI indicator" (ascent/descent speed indicator) that it's completely useless for tech dives.
Same apply for the runtime. By default the large central timer start with the runtime. As you reset the timer, the runtime is displayed on the upper right corner with the same font as average depth. Too little to me.
On the reatime log screen you have average depth and temperature. Both are (maybe) smaller that the main screen. Guys you hate me!!!

Regarding the difficult task to insert color hex values via two buttons... Why don't you rely on a CSV file as for compass bearing? You already have the feature to read one CSV user file from the flash memory. You could do the same for setting color. You simply give the user one table with a numeric code for each object on screen so I can assign the RGB hex value in a file like this:

01;0000ff
02;ffa500
03;...

PS
Maybe a greater attention to their customer too.

Maybe someone at Xdeep will read this someday... :rofl3:

I have this BT and it's really one of the nicest gadget I ever had but after nearly three months of diving with it I can give here a small recap on its cons. and maybe some suggestion to them.

Temperature

Now, the latest update has solved everything was previously reported. Maybe their temp compensation algorithm still needs some refinement. the CPU used is so powerful that is capable to heat the device giving false values. They implemented a sw temperature correction that works. Actually I still get slightly different values from my Sensus Ultra.

Buttons

They get pressed accidentally, continuosly. You have to put the device exactly in the middle of your arm otherwise when you bend your arm for whatever reason the get pushed and you find your display on another screen. Nothing dramatic but really annoying. Now I'm diving with a pscr and on the same arm I have the O2 monitor so it's really a PITA. I should try the latest sw feature added: you can disable the button underwater. I did not try but I need to be in control for stopwatch and average depth.

KeyPressing combinations

I think the the Liquivision Xen way is far more efficient. To reset the timer/avg. depth you have:
- short press of left button to bring the menu
- one or two short press of right button to choose the "reset timer" option
- one long press fo right button to confirm.
It's really too long.

disclaimer - My eye sight is 11/10 but I'm in the forties so size matters.

Layout/fonts

Layout and fonts are really nice but some info are really too small. You can set a custom color for everything on screen through some very counterintuitive menu. There's no way to move things around (custom layout) or changing dimensions. You have to stick with three layouts: full - simple - minimum. Unfortunately for (us) tech divers we would like having "full" because it's the only one with timer and average depth.
In this layout I find that these info are displayed really too small. IMHO their error was to rely only on the wonderful screen resolution. Unfortunately even if your display resolution permits to draw 1 mm letters it doesn't mean they are eye readable.
Moreover in this layout they WASTE a lot of space for their "state-of-the art VSI indicator" (ascent/descent speed indicator) that it's completely useless for tech dives.
Same apply for the runtime. By default the large central timer start with the runtime. As you reset the timer, the runtime is displayed on the upper right corner with the same font as average depth. Too little to me.
On the reatime log screen you have average depth and temperature. Both are (maybe) smaller that the main screen. Guys you hate me!!!

Regarding the difficult task to insert color hex values via two buttons... Why don't you rely on a CSV file as for compass bearing? You already have the feature to read one CSV user file from the flash memory. You could do the same for setting color. You simply give the user one table with a numeric code for each object on screen so I can assign the RGB hex value in a file like this:

01;0000ff
02;ffa500
03;...

PS
Maybe a greater attention to their customer too.

Hello,
I'm assuming that you didn't take a moment to read the BLACK manual and get to know exact in details how the BLACK works since you would find an answer for most of the stuff you write about above,
for instance below you will find the screenshot of a manual page telling about "button lock" feature that is very clever and easy to use.

Please take a moment and sink into that short smart book and it will get you to the whole new level of "blacking" :) Cheers !

button lock on black.jpg

Go logbook --> "date" --> "dive 01/02/etc" --> hold the right button "UDDF export"
The Black will then generate an uddf file which can be found if you connect it to the pc. It works perfectly with diving log

But yes, this is the only option to export the dives. I also don't see an batch export function :(

Can someone send me some dives in the native file format (not UDDF) to info (at) divinglog.de? Maybe I can write a native import and you don't have to export each dive to UDDF anymore.

Can someone send me some dives in the native file format (not UDDF) to info (at) divinglog.de? Maybe I can write a native import and you don't have to export each dive to UDDF anymore.

UDDF is the only option

davide@mobile

---------- Post added November 3rd, 2014 at 02:36 PM ----------

Hello,
I'm assuming that you didn't take a moment to read the BLACK manual and get to know exact in details how the BLACK works since you would find an answer for most of the stuff you write about above,
for instance below you will find the screenshot of a manual page telling about "button lock" feature that is very clever and easy to use.

Please take a moment and sink into that short smart book and it will get you to the whole new level of "blacking" :) Cheers !

View attachment 195878

I'm assuming you never used the instrument. Classic shop diver.

Using button lock prevents you from resetting average depth and timer.

davide@mobile

UDDF is the only option

davide@mobile

---------- Post added November 3rd, 2014 at 02:36 PM ----------

I'm assuming you never used the instrument. Classic shop diver.

Wrong, I was one of the beta testers with one of the very first units ever made but no worries, its not and shouldn't be the place for that kind of discussion.

Wrong, I was one of the beta testers with one of the very first units ever made but no worries, its not and shouldn't be the place for that kind of discussion.

Trying to recover from your previous BS won't help.
Dive first and then speak.

davide@mobile

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom