xD card question for Oly-5050

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 Bar

Reaction score
I just got my c5050. Now I want to get a 512mb xD card. I see a price difference in the Fuji xD card and the Olympus xD card. Can I buy either? Or does it make a difference to the camera?

Thanks.

there really is no difference between the two as there both made by the same company, but speed wise for the price you would spend on the xD card you could get a 1 GB compact flash card

heres a link to comparisions of medias and manufactures on this board

http://www.scubaboard.com/t42197.html

Check....I believe if you want to take advantage of the Olympus "Panoramic Attribute" you need the Olympus XD card; it's specifically set up for this

I don't use this attribute at all, so I opt for the less expensive non-proprietary brands

2 Bar:
I just got my c5050. Now I want to get a 512mb xD card. I see a price difference in the Fuji xD card and the Olympus xD card. Can I buy either? Or does it make a difference to the camera?

Thanks.

Why not get a 512MB Compact Flash card for 50% less that an xD? That is what I am using.

Ok thanks for the info. But Scubatooth and Rad21 have given me a new problem.

I thought the xD was better for the 5050 simply because it came with it. But now I see the quality of the pics are not at question with memory cards, but speed and size.

Based on scubatooth's very detailed and informative post on flash cards, I learned that the fastest cf card in one camera could be by far not the fastest in another.

Suggestions for the 5050?

2 Bar:
Suggestions for the 5050?

I tested several (Sandisk, Viking, Toshiba, Ritek) and chose Ritek as the fastest. It seems that it's pretty reliable (no problems for five months in various conditions: high humidity, cold, hot, UW warm & cold).

MonkSeal:
I tested several (Sandisk, Viking, Toshiba, Ritek) and chose Ritek as the fastest. It seems that it's pretty reliable (no problems for five months in various conditions: high humidity, cold, hot, UW warm & cold).

My own research shows that is good advice. But I have gift cards for BEST BUY I'd like to use, and they seem to not carry Ritek Ridata. They have Sandisk, PNY, Memorex, and maybe Lexar. Are any of those considered quick and compatible with the 5050?

2 Bar:
My own research shows that is good advice. But I have gift cards for BEST BUY I'd like to use, and they seem to not carry Ritek Ridata. They have Sandisk, PNY, Memorex, and maybe Lexar. Are any of those considered quick and compatible with the 5050?

if you were to get any of those brands of cards i would get one of the lexar high speeds, but if you want to compare prices on ritek/ridata cards go look at mydigitaldiscout.com for comparison

You may already know this, but the 5050 can switch between two different types of cards. So, the Compact Flash AND the XD makes sense.

rickvp:
You may already know this, but the 5050 can switch between two different types of cards. So, the Compact Flash AND the XD makes sense.

rick vp

im aware that the c5050 can use smart media, compact flash and Xd cards but my preferences woould be a CF(1GB for UW) card for main and a 128 MB smartmedia card in reserve, as right now i dont like how the memory is set up on XD cards. XD cards are set up similar to a RAID 0 array to get the speed, but at the expense of runninfg the risk of corrupting the whole card if a memory block goes, this is just a personal choice

tooth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom