XCEL Wetsuit Decision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba393

Registered
Reaction score
I'm diving in New Jersey / New York where water temps can get cold ... would a SCS Tri-Density 9/7/6 semi-dry suit be overkill. Or, can I get away with the Thermoflex with a Thermoflex Hooded Vest underneath?

I'm guessing low 50's ...

Right now, off Long Island on some of the deeper wrecks, temp is in the low 50's. Most of the people that I dive with use dry suits. And I just got mine so have yet to try it at on these dive sites. I can say that I dove a 5mm, layered over a 3mm core warmer wet and froze my butt off. A lot depends on how deep you go, how long you stay and how tolerant you are to cold. For me, dry is the way to go.

I own a XCEL SCS Tri-Density 9/7/6 semi-dry suit and a XCEL 8/7/6 which I use diving Cape Cod waters. I have used both suits to 80 - 110 FSW with temp range of 48 to 52 F. and I was cool after each dive. Yes, I am able to do a second dive with no problem. I normal run warm and handle the cold well. They are great suits and did the job well. I would recommend you stay with the 9/7/6; do not go any lighter.

Maybe you can try the suits with special Thermal Material

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom