Xcel Quad Density 8/7/6/5 versus Bare Volcity 7/6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tfh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I couldn't see anything recent on either of these two suits. Looking for semi-dry, integrated hood, chest zip. These two qualify...just a couple of comments/experiences would be nice.

Customer service? Durability? Warmth?

Mostly winter, southern California, <50ft dives, 75-80 min bottom time...I'm a skinny guy and do get cold.

I'm not looking for a dry suit. I want to be able to put a weight belt on with it and free dive for bugs too!

Thanks!

Sorry... Completely mistook the suit you were inquiring. Deleted reply.

Claude

I own an Xcel SCS 976 wetsuit, bought it used but still had lots of life in it. In May I dove it in La Jolla and it was fine, although I didn't go very deep (about 30 ft). I then took it to Redondo the next day and went down to 80 feet - brrr, things got cold. I would suggest getting a vest-like liner to supplement this suit. It does a fair job of minimizing the flushing but I get cold easily too so any water that gets in there doesn't help. I've since gone dry and wouldn't mind selling it cheap :wink:

Thanks for the response. Was, by chance, a LT? I just ordered one and got a pretty good deal (a friends was able to order one at cost for me).

Hopefully it keeps me warm enough here in San Diego!

We use both 8/7/6/5 and 9/7/6 up here in NorCal so you should be plenty warm. I have the SCS 9/7/6. I have torn the arms a few times from the inside. I think my speargun nicked it once in the back of my truck and twice with my fingernails when removing. I repaired them with neoprene glue. I now use a wetsuit lube on the arms (1 part hair conditioner/4 parts water in a small spray bottle). And have not had anymore problems.

A wetsuit purchase is dependent on fit and comfort.

I have some problems getting the chest unzipped sometimes if no one is around to assist. Very easy to get into though.

Ugh, my first wetsuit was an Xcel quad density suit. HATED it! It was such a struggle to get out of. Even when fully unzipped, getting the upper portion up and over my head was almost impossible without buddy assistance. I HIGHLY recommend trying on any front zip, hood integrated full-suit. Make SURE it feels comfortable and is easy to get out of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom