Lavacore vs Sharkskin vs Thermocline vs Exowear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharkskin
Some of the answers in the thread as they relate to Sharkskin are discussing different types/ranges of their products, so I think it can be a little confusing in helping you decide.

I have their Titanium 2 top, bottom, hood, and socks (claimed to be a 5 mm neoprene equivalent), as well as a Chillproof hooded vest (2/3 mm equiv). I really like them overall, especially being neutrally buoyant, and use them as my main exposure in warm waters; I can also use them as undergarments for the drysuit at certain temperatures. I got a little cold/shivers about 45 minutes into a stationary Manta night dive wearing everything, and my computer says the water was 25ºC/77ºF, for some context.

The fit is snug, and I think some folks don't like that, but I haven't felt constrained (certainly less than in a wetsuit) or that I have to try very hard to get into the gear. They need to be somewhat snug to do what they do, after all. But, worth trying one out, or making sure the return policy where you are is in your favor, just in case… I think they are overall a bit less stretchy than neoprene.

There is some pilling noticeable on the material around the shoulders due to the BP harness, but not terrible after 30 dives or so.

All the Sharkskin, and a pair of Apeks tech shorts, packs into a compressible 8L cube (down from 18L) when I travel. Since I don't need to worry about neoprene crush, there's a bit more flexibility on the packing, IMO.

I’m also curious about preferences with the front zip vs back zip, I only have experience with back and chest zips.
I went for the two-piece option (for the main exposure protection) with a front-zip top so I can better thermally regulate on the boat/out of the water, and since it's much easier to don/doff. I'm very happy with that choice. (Also, I would've been between sizes otherwise.) The vest is also front-zip, but I don't find anything problematic/uncomfortable when I layer both, at least in a BPW; with a chest strap on the BCD it might be different. I don't have issues with things shifting around the midriff/waistline.

I’m generally a frequent recreational diver but want to get into deep & wreck.
I think it will depend on quite a number of factors whether diving wet makes sense for tech/wreck diving, so that's something you should consider/revisit when it comes to that. Either way, diving with neutrally buoyant exposure is going to increase your safety margin and allow for better/lower weighting regardless of environment, leading to better gas consumption/management.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom