Lavacore vs Sharkskin vs Thermocline vs Exowear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MWright254

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi pals!

I’m looking into getting a full suit like the Fourth Element Thermocline, Bare Exowear, Lavacore, Sharkskin, ect.

I’m curious about your opinions on them.

I would be using it mainly for my warm water diving (traveling with it, so very curious about drying time and how small it packs down) and depending on which suit (ex the thermocline that doesn’t have foot/ankle loops) under my trusty Henderson 7/5mm semi-dry that I use for my local California diving.

Using for semi dry layering isn’t the most important to me, I’m very comfortable with my current semi dry set up, but it would be a nice option.

I’m also curious about preferences with the front zip vs back zip, I only have experience with back and chest zips.

I’m generally a frequent recreational diver but want to get into deep & wreck.

Thank you!

I have not used the suits you mention, but have used the Probe Frogskins, which are similar.

I like the Frogskins a lot. You may want to put them on your list too.

They dry very quickly, are very flexible and comfortable to wear. No zips at all. Separate tops and bottoms.

I have the sharkskin, I prefer a 1mm wetsuit over it and the wetsuit will dry 2 to 3 times faster, wetsuit also packs better and is lighter, I almost left the sharkskin behind in Curaçao.

I have a Lavacore full suit front zip. It provides warmth equivalent to 2-3 mil neoprene. I am comfortable in it for water temps from 70s to 80s.

Advantages

Zero buoyancy in the water. You only need enough weight to sink your body.
It packs small and is light.

Disadvantages

It's hard to slide on over your skin. I wear a rash guard under it and then it slips on easily.
It takes more than a day to completely dry. The fleece fibers on the inside that provide the insulation hold a lot of water.

I've got a lavacore and my wife has a sharkskin. They're exactly the same with different lettering. They're less warm than a 3 mil but WAY more comfortable and easier to don/doff. Here in FL, I'd use them in the spring or fall. In the summer, I just use a skin.

You shouldn't be paying more than $30-40 for a skin while these products were in the $200+ price range last time I looked.

Re: front-zip. My lavacore and my drysuit are front-zip. The big benefit is that it's far easier to don/doff a front zip without assistance compared to back zip. I have no idea how/why backzip ever became a thing. I've got a couple back zip wetsuits and they're always a hassle often requiring assistance from someone to don/doff.

I've got a lavacore and my wife has a sharkskin. They're exactly the same with different lettering. They're less warm than a 3 mil but WAY more comfortable and easier to don/doff. Here in FL, I'd use them in the spring or fall. In the summer, I just use a skin.

You shouldn't be paying more than $30-40 for a skin while these products were in the $200+ price range last time I looked.

Re: front-zip. My lavacore and my drysuit are front-zip. The big benefit is that it's far easier to don/doff a front zip without assistance compared to back zip. I have no idea how/why backzip ever became a thing. I've got a couple back zip wetsuits and they're always a hassle often requiring assistance from someone to don/doff.

I’m interested in getting a suit like the Lavacores, ect because I won’t be warm enough in a skin alone and would like to have something thinner & easier to pack than my 3/2 full wetsuit. In 82F water temps I still need some warmth that a skin can’t provide; half because when I’m warm water diving I go 3-4 dives a day several days in a row and half because I’m very petite and thin so I get cold easily.

thank you for the zip perspective!

I have a Sharskin's and I have never understood the "quick drying" "feature". My 3min wet suit dries faster.
Anyway, the Sharskin is good as a single suit for really warm water and provide a bit of confort under a wet suit.
The thing I like is that it keeps you protected against the wind between and after dives.

I have Lavacore, separate pants and jacket with front zip. Or maybe one part is Sharkskin doesn't matter. I quite like it. I don't believe it is as warm as generally claimed but I don't need that. It takes an unexpectedly long time to dry.

I just used the Lavacore Pants, jacket, and hooded vest in Coz. My stuff is the older Gray stuff. Don't think the pants/Jacket are available anymore, but I like the convenience. Not quite as warm as my 3 mil Bare and I am cold natured so barely warm enough for Coz in January. I also have the matching shorts and with a skin shirt was plenty warm for October. There biggest problem is that they take forever to dry.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the neutral buoyancy feature is awesome. Diving in a wetsuit without added weight is great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom