Xcel or Pinnacle???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miller_Time

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking to buy my first wetsuit and I'm looking at the Xcel 3/2 mm full suit, that the LDS tells me is the new strechier material and its going to cost $189. I also see that Leisure Pro has Pinnacle suits that look really nice and the basic 3mm Pinnacle Breaker suit is only $149. I've tried on the Xcel and really liked it, and needed a XL but I have not tried on the Pinnacle. I've heard great things about the pinnacle and not a lot about Xcel. What would yall recommend? I'm leaning towards the Xcel as I know it fits and also the LDS was very helpful and I wouldnt mind supporting them. I just wanna make sure I get the best of the 2 suits. Thanks for the help.

I have an Xcel vortex (3-4-5) and love it. Chose it over the comparable Pinnacle for several reasons:

- fit: the Xcel just fit better
- features; the Pinnacle had TOO many, padded this, padded that, extra shoulder thingies, etc, etc

I think the Xcel cost more, but it just seemed to be a superior product.

My local LDS carries both Pinnacle and Henderson, so I had a chance to try both. What I liked about the Pinnacle was a very thick lumbar pad, and great design (color/graphics). It also seemed to have thought out the joints very well, and added additional flexibility there. However, it seemed a bit more difficult to get into, and I felt a little constricted with the high neck piece (which folds up like a turtleneck -- I'm not crazy about anything that high up and tight around my throat).
Now, to be fair, I was comparing it to the Henderson Gold (which slides on like greased ice). I ultimately decided on the Henderson because of it's thermal and slick skin properties. However, if the Henderson wasn't available, I may have very well gone with the Pinnacle (the neckpiece is somewhat 'adjustable').

I live a few minutes from Xcel's outlet (Xcel is from hawaii) and they do make very good quality suits and the outlet prices rock. That being said I have a pinnacle 5mm which I love.

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm thinking I'm gonna pick up the Xcel, I was a little weary about the high neck line on the Pinnacle and Xcel fit almost perfectly. I just wasnt sure of the quality. But sounds like its a nice piece.

Miller_Time:
Thanks for the quick responses. I'm thinking I'm gonna pick up the Xcel, I was a little weary about the high neck line on the Pinnacle and Xcel fit almost perfectly. I just wasnt sure of the quality. But sounds like its a nice piece.

You hit the nail on the head. The Xcel has a perfect fit for you, then I think you're making the right choice. With that said, I bought a Xcel hydrospan 3mm earlier this year, and I have no complaints. Xcel was great in helping me find a correct size. The had my LDS send in my measurements, suggested a size, and shipped the suit to my LDS in less than a week. It fit perfectly. That left me with a good feeling about their customer service if I ever have a problem with the suit.

cowjazz:
You hit the nail on the head. The Xcel has a perfect fit for you, then I think you're making the right choice. With that said, I bought a Xcel hydrospan 3mm earlier this year, and I have no complaints. Xcel was great in helping me find a correct size. The had my LDS send in my measurements, suggested a size, and shipped the suit to my LDS in less than a week. It fit perfectly. That left me with a good feeling about their customer service if I ever have a problem with the suit.

The quality of the fit is everybit as important as the quality of the material. Sounds like you are making a good choice. I do not think you will be disappointed in the suit.

diveprof:
The quality of the fit is everybit as important as the quality of the material. Sounds like you are making a good choice. I do not think you will be disappointed in the suit.

Yeah, I like how well it fits, I was just curious about the quality but it sounds like its pretty good. I'm gonna go pick it up tomorrow I think. Thanks again for the advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom