XCEL Infinity 43-Let's Talk about water movement!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmm1970

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am looking for opinions on wrist, ankle, and neck seals on wetsuits. I need a suit that doesn't move as much water as my Henderson suit. I do a LOT of macro photography on trips and spend a lot of time hoovering and waiting to take a picture. My blood pressure drops as this is very relaxing, and I get cold. Yes, cold even in 80 degree water. Anyways, I am having trouble finding good info on the effectiveness of the different seals on the different suits. Please share your experiences with water movement in suits you have used. I am considering the XCEL suit by reputation and would like some user reviews before I order one. Alternative suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to remain with a full suit to keep travel weight down since my kit is already fairly substantial due to taking a DSLR on my trips.

Thanks for all the help,
Mike

I have the excel infinitey 765 and love it! I dive in northern mi where the water temps at depth get to the 40's. I have been in 55f wearing just the jump suit and was very comfortable. It seals well around neck arms and legs. I have the shorty to go over it but haven't needed as of yet. Im sure that will change in Oct though.

I have an Xcel 8,7,6 Tri-density, this is the suit with the built in hood and the zipper across the chest. I think that the newer versions of this suit are thicker. I have had my suit in water in the high 40's and it has been fine. The suit seals very well and at times I have gotten a squeeze aroung my waist for the first ten minutes or so of a dive. I think this is more a feature of the overall fit of the suit rather than just the wrist and ankle seals. The suit fits me about as tight as I would ever want a wetsuit to fit. I can move around but the suit is tough to get on. The built in hood and neck dam also make a big difference in water migration.

My suit is most likely not the same model as the suit you would be considering for 80 degree water, so all I can suggest is getting a suit that fits well and is snug around your entire body, large loose areas invite water migration.

In general I am very happy with mine and feel that it is worth every penny I paid for it and if I needed a replacement I would probably just get another Xcel suit just like it.

Mark Vlahos

My buddy dove throug a rough winter here in RI with the hooded Xcel that one high quality suit.

cmm1970:
Hello all,

I am looking for opinions on wrist, ankle, and neck seals on wetsuits. I need a suit that doesn't move as much water as my Henderson suit. I do a LOT of macro photography on trips and spend a lot of time hoovering and waiting to take a picture. My blood pressure drops as this is very relaxing, and I get cold. Yes, cold even in 80 degree water. Anyways, I am having trouble finding good info on the effectiveness of the different seals on the different suits. Please share your experiences with water movement in suits you have used. I am considering the XCEL suit by reputation and would like some user reviews before I order one. Alternative suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to remain with a full suit to keep travel weight down since my kit is already fairly substantial due to taking a DSLR on my trips.

Thanks for all the help,
Mike

We sell and use Xcel suits almost exclusively.

I personally use the 5/4/3 tridensity and the Polar Tridensity 976 These suits fit better than most anything out there. My Semidry has over 150 dives on it in the past 18 mos and the 5/4/3 has over 200. I get cold easily even in 85 degree water and find these to be outstanding ways to stay warm throughout the day when not diving dry .

The Infinity System is also our #1 seller and our clients love the layering process as well. (I prefer one suit over many layers -- personal thing)

Go get one

regards,

OK, so based on the good comments on the Xcel suits, I took and afternoon and traveled from Austin to San Antonio to a dive shop that actually had a good inventory on Xcel suits. I tried on the Infinity suit and was impressed with the construction, heft/weight of the neoprene, and fit of the suit. I am a standard men's medium and the suit fit very well. Now, I haven't been diving in it yet, but I just wanted to relay my excitement for what I perceive to be excellent quality from this company. I have owned Henderson, Oneil, and Scubapro suits, and the Xcel suits seem to be a better build as compared to the others I have owned. Everything from a great neck seal to the zippers at the ankles that allow for a step-in fit. I am definitely impressed and so far feel that the extra dollars were worth it!

Back
Top Bottom