Xcalak late march

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emerge

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone,
My girlfriend and I will be traveling to Xcalak at the end of our mexico trip. Im looking for any info on cheapish 50$ a night places down there. We want to spend our money diving but since this is the end of our vacation (will be in isla mujeres with family the prior 2 weeks) we are going to need to be thrifty on a place to stay. I have heard that the Chinchorro Banks are just amazing our goal is to hit them up as much as possible as well as enjoy a totally quiet laid back place.

Our Xcalak dates will be from the 22nd till the 28th of march.

If anyone has any info (the place is pretty remote and hard to find info on) it would be much appreciated.

We stayed at Costa de Cocos a few years back. We thought it was great. The other couple we were with didn't particularly care for it. They thought it was more like camping..No A/C. There are a bunch of 1 room (and bath) cabanas spread out overlooking the water. It is shaped like an octagon with windows on all sides and a ceiling fan over the bed. Our first night we had to shut the windows a little because of the ocean breeze and fan made it a little chilly. Ask for cabana # 1.. It is right on the water (20'). They have a decent restaurant and bar. Good pizza.

They have their own dive center which was very laid back and you really made up your own schedule if there wasn't that many divers which was the case. Many dives it was just the DM a DM student and us.

Costa de Cocos is located about a mile from town. The main (dirt) road, if you want to call it that, is littered with LARGE pot holes. To drive that mile will take you about 15 minutes. We went to another motel for dinner that was up the road a bit (maybe 3 miles) and took us 45 minutes to get there! Hopefully it has been filled in and grated by now.

There are a couple of restaurants in town that are nice. The Leaky Palapa is one not to be missed. The food was FANTASTIC. A lot of ex pats hang out there and really nice to talk to.

On your way to Xcalak make sure you hit a grocery store on route 307 to get anything you might need. Xcalak has nothing to offer.

Enjoy and make sure you write a trip report when you get back. I would like to hear of any improvements.

Thanks! We will be traveling with our camera's as i think photos will be even better! Im pretty excited and the more recommendations we have the better.

I just heard there was as sighting by divers of eight pilot whales on Chinchorro last week. :D

We are going next month. :D:D

I just heard there was as sighting by divers of eight pilot whales on Chinchorro last week. :D

We are going next month. :D:D

Wow! Now that is amazing!

Hello everyone,
My girlfriend and I will be traveling to Xcalak at the end of our mexico trip. Im looking for any info on cheapish 50$ a night places down there. We want to spend our money diving but since this is the end of our vacation (will be in isla mujeres with family the prior 2 weeks) we are going to need to be thrifty on a place to stay. I have heard that the Chinchorro Banks are just amazing our goal is to hit them up as much as possible as well as enjoy a totally quiet laid back place.

Our Xcalak dates will be from the 22nd till the 28th of march.

If anyone has any info (the place is pretty remote and hard to find info on) it would be much appreciated.

Did you make it to Xcalak?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom