X8 Steel 130

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grandpoobah

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Now, I’m relatively new to diving, about 6’1 and 250lbs. With my size and experience I’m always the guy running out of air first. The dive shop guy recommended the Worthington X8 Steel 130, so I got it. This guy is heavy, did I go to big? I’m I going to pull myself up on the boat?

Assuming your in decent shape, you should be big enough to lug it around, considering people that dive with doubles have more weight on them than a single 130.

You'll probably find that the additional weight of the tank is offset by not needing as much lead on your weight belt. If I use an aluminum 80 tank I end up carryng about 10 lbs. more lead then when I use an HP119. I'm carrying the same weight but one setup it's the tank the other is just ballast.

My wife, who is 5'7" and 130 lb. dives an X8 130 on our deeper dives. Never a complaint from her, and never any trouble getting on the boat.

Your air consumption should drop with regular diving experience. I chose a pair of the X7-120's for the dives deeper than 60 ft (not doubles). They are 8lbs lighter but cost about $40 more. THe problem is you need to watch your nitrogen levels as you will be able to exceed them when doing deeper dives and forcing you into multiple safety stops.
DP:)

I have two of them and love em! You won't notice any difference once you get them strapped onto your BC. You will notice a difference lugging them around. And don't try to "sling" them onto a dock one - handed from a boat. My shoulder still gives me problems. And no, I didn't get it all the way onto the dock.

I bought mine for the same reasons you did and you'll be the one coming back with air left now. And when your SAC is better, you'll just get more bottom time.

If the dive boat has a decent ladder, you'll be fine. My shop's dive boat has a "T" ladder made out of 2 inch square aluminum and I can climb out with double 108's (same size as your 130) an AL40 slung under my left arm, and wearing fins. If that boat had a conventional ladder, you couldn't pay me enough to try that.

Iam also around the same size (6'1" & 240lbs). This winter I picked up a 130 and is a great tank. When I first started diving I could burn a 100 in 30 min. Now with more dive experence and the 130 I can get two dives out of the tank. One main dive and a short dive. One thing is I have droped most of my weight. Right now I have 4 lbs and Iam still heavy. I only wish I could take it with me to the islands but right now It's my quarry tank. One question if I have to ditch weight what do I ditch?

I dive the same tanks. I started out diving them individually, but have moved into tech diving. I know own 4 HP130's & dive them as doubles. They're heavy, but a guy your size should have no problem getting on and off the boat with just one. As far as you air consumption, just keep diving, it will get better as you get more comfortable. You shouldn't really be any heavier than before, because you'll need less weight with the heavier tank, so you should net out at about the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom