X1,Petrel or Hollis Help????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Petrel is pretty solid, just for comparison have a look at the HW otsc.

Allow me to paraphrase how these computer threads usually go:

"I think the computer I just spent $1500 on is the best, because of <insert justification here>."

...the same seems to happen with the what scooter should I buy threads, too.

As for computer recommendation, I place more weight on the software the computer runs. V-Planner is what you'll see refered to all the time ("well, on this dive, V-Planner says...") and I'll wade in and state that V-Planner has always left me feeling good.

So, my computer runs software written by Ross Hemingway, the author of V-Planner. It's rock solid and I have a long track record with it. That limits the choices to the X1 or the DR5, both of which I've dove and are great computers.

All the best, James

As an aside, I have dove the X1 and the Predator. By comparison the Predator feels like I'm wearing a paperback book on my wrist. The Petrel may have a more pleasing form factor, as soon as I can lay hands on one I'll dive it to find out.

Allow me to paraphrase how these computer threads usually go:

"I think the computer I just spent $1500 on is the best, because of <insert justification here>."

...the same seems to happen with the what scooter should I buy threads, too.

Actually, I could have had any computer in the world. I was using an Atom 2.0 and a Geo when I started shopping. Like I always do, I spent months comparing all of the best of the best. Price was not a factor. I wanted the simplest computer, that came with a great customer support team, that I could not possibly outgrow. Then one day, I was at Ginnie Springs when the top cave diving instructors in the world were all there teaching. Larry Green, Jim Wyatt, Rich Courtney, Tom Mount, Bill Bird, and several others were all teaching that weekend. Funny thing is, all of them were diving Shearwater computers. These are guys who can own any computer they want, can try for free any computer they want, have their pick of the litter. Everyone of them picked a Shearwater. We were not Shearwater dealers in our store, but the opening order was a nice PROTSA for me. Since then I have sold many. I've never had a single complaint from a customer and it really is impossible to beat Shearwater's customer support. Our store could have been a dealer for any product line. We chose to be a dealer for the best product line.

I am with the majority with Shearwater but who has dove the Petrel already?

I was on a boat last weekend where there were 3 Predator divers and 3 X1 diver. All X1 divers had returned their unit for service or replacement. One unit had been replaced 3 times!!

Predators were all yet to need customer service. That says volumes....

I was on a boat last weekend where there were 3 Predator divers and 3 X1 diver. All X1 divers had returned their unit for service or replacement. One unit had been replaced 3 times!!

Predators were all yet to need customer service. That says volumes....

My Predator has needed service. The right button stopped working. I shipped it to Shearwater on Tuesday, they repaired the problem and had it back in my hands before the night dive on Thursday the same week. Free of charge (not even a shipping cost). Even when things go wrong, they make it so right.

Back
Top Bottom