X-Shorts with Pockets: Good or Bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

headhunter

Renaissance Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was looking at various sites on the Internet and ran across "X-Shorts with pockets" on the retail sections of fifthd.com and zerogravity.com.mx.

On the surface of things, it looks like they would be handy if you were travelling and using different exposure suits for different climates. It seems that even though your suit may change, your placement of gear would remain identical.

What is the feeling about these X-Shorts with Pockets among DIR divers? What is the official stance from DIR about these shorts and do they fit in as part of the "holistic" philosophy?

I'm considering getting a pair, but thought it would be prudent to consult the collective wisdom board first. I'm planning on taking DIR-F, but need to get a few things done before then.

Also if you've used them, what are your impressions of them?

Thanks.

Christian

headhunter:
I was looking at various sites on the Internet and ran across "X-Shorts with pockets" on the retail sections of fifthd.com and zerogravity.com.mx.

On the surface of things, it looks like they would be handy if you were travelling and using different exposure suits for different climates. It seems that even though your suit may change, your placement of gear would remain identical.

What is the feeling about these X-Shorts with Pockets among DIR divers? What is the official stance from DIR about these shorts and do they fit in as part of the "holistic" philosophy?

Christian

They were the topic of a laugh at the Dutch DIR mailinglist, but my DIR-F instructor (Andy Kerslake) recommended them to me when using a wetsuit.

Reinoud:
They were the topic of a laugh at the Dutch DIR mailinglist, but my DIR-F instructor (Andy Kerslake) recommended them to me when using a wetsuit.

I mean, Uncle Pug is the pinnacle of cool and has a discriminating eye for scuba fashion, and if he was embarassed to be seen in them, I dunno.

But after diving in a drysuit with pockets for so long now, I'm about to hit some warmwater diving in a skin or a 3mm. Last year I borrowed a DS without pockets for 1.5 days of a 3-day bost trip, and felt naked without my wetnotes, shears, spare mask and other safety stuff... Especially the wetnotes.

I may get a pair for this trip and deal with the jabs of my Floridian hosts... and just offer them a choice hand gesture if their mask gets kicked off. Hmmm... of couse, they won't see the gesture until I offer them my spare mask from my funky shorts. :bonk:

I dunno. Still thinking about these funky things...

K

Mo2vation:
I mean, Uncle Pug is the pinnacle of cool, and if he was embarassed to be seen in them, I dunno.

But after diving in a drysuit with pockets for so long now, I'm about to hit some warmwater diving in a skin or a 3mm. Last year I borrowed a DS without pockets for 1.5 days of a 3-day bost trip, and felt naked without my wetnotes, shears, spare mask and other safety stuff... Especially the wetnotes.

I may get a pair for this trip and deal with the jabs of my Floridian hosts... and just offer them a choice hand gesture if their mask gets kicked off. Hmmm... of couse, they won't see the gesture until I offer them my spare mask from my funky shorts. :bonk:

I dunno. Still thinking about these funky things...

K
That's funny that you responded to this thread and said that. Your FL trip and the fact that you'll be using a different suit is what got me thinking about them. They seem practical.

Let's see what others have to say!

Christian

I used them recently during my Cave course in Mexico, and thought they worked very well... it was nice being able to hang my wetsuit up to dry and remove the shorts without having to mess with the contents of the pockets, as I probably would have done if I'd used glued pockets instead.

Diving in the PNW, I dive dry for 99% of my dives, and so I just glued pockets onto my drysuit... I won't be removing these pockets in favor of x-shorts. But for travel, like when you may be using a skin, 3 mil, or 5 mil depending on conditions, it's nice being able to have "portable" pockets.

Are they stylish? Hell no. But then again, anyone who's ever seen me in a wetsuit can imagine that I'm not gonna be winning any beauty contests anytime soon anyway, so to hell with it. :D

They work, and that's what matters to me. Of course, they're expensive as all get-out, but what in diving isn't? :/

-d

David Evans:
I used them recently during my Cave course in Mexico, and thought they worked very well... it was nice being able to hang my wetsuit up to dry and remove the shorts without having to mess with the contents of the pockets, as I probably would have done if I'd used glued pockets instead.

http://diverite.com/products/bcd/acc_pockets.htm

A cheaper alternative. don't know how secure these are - meaning how wasy I can get stuff in and out of my pockets, tho.

Still thinking about this one. Trust me, I'll win no beauty contest either, and I'm no supermodel - unlike Uncle Pug.

K

Reinoud:
Reinoud,

Did you actually use them? If so, how did you like them?

Christian

David Evans:

Diving in the PNW, I dive dry for 99% of my dives, and so I just glued pockets onto my drysuit... I won't be removing these pockets in favor of x-shorts. But for travel, like when you may be using a skin, 3 mil, or 5 mil depending on conditions, it's nice being able to have "portable" pockets.

Are they stylish? Hell no. But then again, anyone who's ever seen me in a wetsuit can imagine that I'm not gonna be winning any beauty contests anytime soon anyway, so to hell with it. :D

They work, and that's what matters to me. Of course, they're expensive as all get-out, but what in diving isn't? :/

-d
David,

If you were going to purchase a new dry suit, would you consider using these X-Shorts instead of gluing pockets to the new suit?

I ask because I will be waiting until after taking a DIR-F class to purchase a dry suit, but will probably replace my old wetsuit with another wetsuit in the meanwhile. I thought that these pockets might just be an easy solution for both suits.

Christian

Hey Chris
I just got a pair of these myself, though I have not dove with them. Got them for similar reasons you seem to be thinking about. I have 3 sets of suits that I use almost equally and it is much more economically viable to get the one pair of shorts if they could fit all three. I think the key is in choosing the right size. If you can try them on, I am sure that would help, I was not able to.

Here is another running thread on the shorts, one or two peple in that thread own the shorts as well...
http://scubaboard.com/t60174.html

JAG

I didn't want to glue pockets on both my 5mm and 3mm wetsuits, but still needed pockets after DIR-F. Used them through Rec-Triox (needed them for when they asked for my mask...). I really like them, and don't think they are bad looking, although we did get strange looks from the DM in Coz. I suggest getting them, they carry alot of needed gear. They have upper grommets like my DS, so you can tie a bungee from grommet to grommet and click off your double ender equipped stuff.

As for the DS, get them glued on. It looks and functions better.

Tyson

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom