WWII wrecks in Indo...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InDaWata

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all,

Headed off to Raja Ampat in May, (thanks for the advice in my other thread, btw!) and I have a few weeks to kill before I have to return home.

Ive been turning over a few ideas for the remaining time, Komodo, Manado, Bali, maybe Ambon....

But what I'd REALLY like to do is dive on a few WWII wrecks while I'm there. Is there anywhere you might recommend?

(I have been a HUGE Pacific war aviation buff for a number of years... so aircraft wrecks would be a bonus!)

I dived two WWII wrecks (ships) in Indonesia, in Tulamben, Bali and in Maumere, Flores. They are both nice, big wrecks with heaps off stuff to see..

For the planes, there is a B24 Bomber in the Togean islands (Central Sulawesi). I haven't dived it myself yet but I heard it's great.

Then there is Biak, Papua. There are many WWII wrecks, both ships and planes. AFAIK there is only one (small) dive shop in Biak, when I was there ca. 2 years ago (for work) I tried to check them out but during the few days I was there the shop was closed..

Your post doesn't say if you dive R4 by LOB or with a land-based resort, anyways, Max Ammer's Papua-Diving organise on request dive trips to the WWII wrecks (ships and planes) off Manokwari (also West Papua).

Err, need a dive buddy? :D:D

The Bilikiki in the Solomons is a good place to go since you will be in "the Slot", however, most of the wrecks are too deep for rec diving.

I can suggest you only diving in tulamben cause I know that's place very well. There is one wreck from ww2. The wreck lay from 5m depth until 29m depth. It's length 120m and over there we do shore dive. There are lot of fish there cause local regulation made fisherman prohibited to catch fish in diving area. Beside the wreck, is good as well as muck dive. For further information you can visit Bali Diving - Bali Air Diving Academy

Hey all,

Headed off to Raja Ampat in May, (thanks for the advice in my other thread, btw!) and I have a few weeks to kill before I have to return home.

Ive been turning over a few ideas for the remaining time, Komodo, Manado, Bali, maybe Ambon....

But what I'd REALLY like to do is dive on a few WWII wrecks while I'm there. Is there anywhere you might recommend?

(I have been a HUGE Pacific war aviation buff for a number of years... so aircraft wrecks would be a bonus!)

Hello OD, Ambon has a very large Dutch freighter in the harbor that was scuttled at the start of WW2. Very nice wreck, tons of fish and soft coral, big cargo holds which are easy to penetrate, but viz is so so.

There is also supposed to be a B17 wreck somewhere on the backside of island 1 and 2 of the 3 islands right off the SW coast of Ambon. Nobody has found it yet, possibly in too deep water, I got blown out into blue water looking for it.

IIRC, there is also a large WW2 wreck in Pulau Weh.

My guess is that the largest concentration of WW2 ship wrecks are in Balikpapan SE of Borneo where a major battle was fought by the Japanese and American navies over the oil fields. All those wrecks are in recreational depths, IIRC, but are easiest to dive by liveaboard. There maybe more aircraft wrecks in the Papua/Raja Empats/Biak areas of Eastern Indo as there was a long bombing campaign against the Japanese land and air forces in that region.

There are also supposed to be quite a few WW2 wrecks SE Sulawesi, near Bira and there are apparently some dive ops in Bira, though few reports in English about them.

Best aircraft wrecks I've seen were in PNG, where I've dived on an intact B-17 near Tufi with ammo belts still in the .50 cal machine guns, a B-25 in Madang harbor in very good shape, a Zero near Walindi on New Britain, and a P-38 in excellent shape near Finnschlafen. None were salvaged and had all guns intact. There are aircraft wrecks all over PNG, with the most being in the North. There are also many wrecks on land as well. I saw 2 Japanese Betty bombers still parked in the overgrown, bomb cratered aerodrome in Madang and a B-24 that crash landed in a farmer's field in New Britain. It had a short barrel 105 Howitzer mounted in the nose, something they only had in the Pacific theater for all the naval targets. Turning bombers like those into flying gun platforms was apparently more effective in destroying naval targets. Happy trails, -Andy

Best aircraft wrecks I've seen were in PNG, where I've dived on an intact B-17 near Tufi with ammo belts still in the .50 cal machine guns, a B-25 in Madang harbor in very good shape, a Zero near Walindi on New Britain, and a P-38 in excellent shape near Finnschlafen. None were salvaged and had all guns intact. There are aircraft wrecks all over PNG, with the most being in the North. There are also many wrecks on land as well. I saw 2 Japanese Betty bombers still parked in the overgrown, bomb cratered aerodrome in Madang and a B-24 that crash landed in a farmer's field in New Britain. -Andy

:drooling:
Oh, Drool...

Now THAT is something I will have to see.
Perhaps on another trip though... I dont think i will have much time to get out of Indonesia.

My Raja liveaboard takes me through the middle of May, and then I've got about two weeks left- before I head over to Sipadan.

There's 1 more site that's often unknown to foreigners...

It's situated between Merak & Jakarta, specifically Bojonegara.

I've never dive there before but I heard visibility is poor and the current is rather strong. Youc could still see oil coming out from the wreck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom