WTB an argonaut kraken

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excellent explanation. This helps greatly. There is no better description than first hand experience.

Are standard backplates able to accommodate DHR? I know there are plates designed specifically for them, but hope to get away with a standard hollis plate and OMS dual bladder until I can source a few more doubloons.

Are standard backplates able to accommodate DHR?
As I understand it, a modern backplate works, but is not optimal (the spinal ridge spaces the reg further off your back). I currently dive mine on a VDH plate (made for DH regs), but started (and would still use happily if the VDH plate hadn't been gifted to me!) with a plate that I cut from a $5 plastic cutting board. That set up (without the DH reg) can be seen here: Back Plate and wing..$28 dollars invested! . Attached is a picture with the my DAAM on a shakedown dive with the cutting board plate (please ignore the over long inflator hose!).
If you want to try a cutting board plate I can send you my most current pattern (my 14 y.o. and 11 y.o. both dive them still)... I just use a drill to start the holes and cut with a skilsaw.

Respectfully,

James

CanPlacement.jpg

Gentleman, you are awesome. It is wonderful not to be looked at like an alien by fellow divers for being passionate about vintage dive methods.

To quote Yota " Oh You will be" :)
I rather enjoy the odd looks I get and expect a lot of questions.

On the hose clearing, there is a 3rd alternative . Turn with the left (exhaust ) hose down then grab either hose with both hands a few inches apart. I prefer the supply hose. Compress and expand the hose like an accordion, due to the mouthpiece valves this creates a pump that expels the water and intakes air. After a few cycles, the supply hose is clear and you can take a slow careful breath then fully clear the hose loop by exhaling. With the new DSV, just remember to close it before taking it out of your mouth and hose flooding is pretty much eliminated. I suggest you find a shallow place to practice these methods before going into deep water.......and remember with the AK and a standard second safe, you can always swap to it until you sort out the issue.

Another thing to bone up on is cleaning the DH. It needs to have the hoses and cans flushed and dried after every dive day/trip. If you dive once, clean an dry it, if you are diving for a week, clean and dry it at the end of the week.

Back
Top Bottom