Wristwatch Personal Dive comp. VS. Dive Comp.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stick with a good old analog SPG, and wrist mounted dive computer(s), even for 'recreational' diving (which is the majority of the diving I do, when I can dive).

Everyone has their own levels of risk tolerance and risk management. My analogy to a hoseless air integrated unit would be like depending on my cell phone and reception in unfamilar territory to tell me how much gas I still have available (can you breathe me now?).

The $$$ go up rapidly for air integrated dive computers, both console mounted (no transmitter, just connected by the same hose your SPG would be mounted on) and wrist mounted (with a transmitter on the first stage). Each person has their own definition of balance on cost vs. value.

Hope this helps - there really isn't a one-size-fits-all (or -most) solution, the marketplace determines what succeeds and what doesn't. If some people weren't buying air integrated dive computers, there wouldn't be so many models available. Same is true for non air integrated dive computers. Ditto for console mount vs. wrist mount. But you're doing the right thing - asking questions to see what the alternatives are.

Mthelming:
Does anyone recomend one over another? A dive watch computer combo over a more traditional dive computer?

I have a wrist mount computer and I love it. I bought it because I was still using rental gear but wanted a dive computer. I also like being able to just take it with me if I am not planning on diving more than a couple dives and don't want to take everything with me, like on a cruise or whatnot.

The other side of it is that if it is mounted in your console you won't forget to take it with you. One thing that I have noted is that I always try to take off my wetsuit and get down to that wrist and realize that I can't pull it off til I take off my computer. It would be easier to misplace or lose on a dive boat if it is wrist mount also.

About the air integrated dive computers - I haven't used one myself, I can see how they would be usefull BUT two times on two different dive boats the guy with the air integrated computer had to fiddle and fiddle and almost aborted the dive because his air integrated comp was on the fritz. In one case he just had to wiggle the little attachment and screw it in tighter, the other guy I don't remember what happened, but I do remember all of us sitting on the side of the boat with our gear hanging over the edge waiting and waiting for this guy to get it fixed (drift dive).
good luck deciding.

WWD covered it pretty well. You CAN use an air integrated comp for tech diving, but I don't know many who would. I use it, but have a regular SPG as a backup.

AI computers are a LOT more expensive.

While I'm a big fan of my wrist-mounted, air-integrated Oceanic VT3, I wouldn't feel comfortable diving without a backup SPG/depth gauge on a console.

Only time I'd be concerned with wrist mount was if I was sticking my hand into hole where coming out without the computer is a concern, like when you're looking for your next lobster dinner...

Fordan:
While I'm a big fan of my wrist-mounted, air-integrated Oceanic VT3, I wouldn't feel comfortable diving without a backup SPG/depth gauge on a console.

Only time I'd be concerned with wrist mount was if I was sticking my hand into hole where coming out without the computer is a concern, like when you're looking for your next lobster dinner...
If you're going bugging, you could always put the computer on your other hand. Or on a retractor, for pure hunting dives.

Or get the Oceanic HUD for hunting missions - unless you're in the bifocal club . . .

WarmWaterDiver:
Or get the Oceanic HUD for hunting missions - unless you're in the bifocal club . . .

As far as the bifocal club... I don't get how it works from an optical standpoint, but I've got to toss on some readers to see something close... but with that mask, I see the info no problem, even though it's just a inch from my eye. I don't get it... but it's cool. Now if I want to look at something on my camera close up, then I could just use the stick on bifocals on the bottom of the HUD mask.

Pretty cool - an age-defying mask! Never would have thought it possible.

Maybe Oceanic can branch out and put a little LCD TV screen too? I find myself going back to my next oldest single vision glasses or scooting the progressive lenses down my nose in the recliner or bed when watching TV. And I've only had them a couple of months.

The air intergration is a great thing. If you like the Suunto line, then the D9 is the top! However, I always will use a hosed SPG just to be safe. The difficulty with the air intergration is that the tranmitted signal could be interrupted with flash strobes or scooters. And yes, I'm in the bifocal (tri)crowd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom