Wristwatch Dive Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

m1111s

New
Reaction score
Does anyone dive with a wristwatch computer and if so, do you recommend it? I need a new computer and was hoping to eliminate another hose dangling beneath me. Are they worth the extra money and where do you put a compass? I see that Suunto makes a computer with a compass in the watch. Anyone use the D9?

You can do a search and get a lot of answers to this. I use the Oceanic Atom 2 and wouldn't trade it for anything. My computer is on right wrist and compass is on left wrist. Sometimes my compass is stored in a pocket depending on the dive location, and I have attached it to a small retractor on a shoulder D-ring in the past, but gave that up because it felt like "danglies" clutter.

My friends who have used the D9 do not like it overall, and one dive buddy even sold his to buy the Oceanic Atom 2. It can be difficult to read, you can't use the computer functions and the compass at the same time because you have to change screens, the compass is not reliable, the D9 is very conservative, very expensive and heavier than the Atom 2. Most divers I've talked to call it a very expensive toy.

I eliminated another hose by using a Scubapro Air2 octo/inflator combo for recreational diving.

Other experiences will vary, but I hope this helps.

I've used a D9 for about 100 dives now...

Pros: Air Integration (if using this option), sharp (smallish you need young eyes) display, good looking enough to wear daily, the logging feature on the watch is very good.

Cons: The digital compass is flakey and must be re-calibrated constantly...Suunto makes great compasses (think analog SK-7) but not this one. It is a tad conservative but that is a good thing for some...If I'm diving nitrox it's usually not an issue.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

-J.-

I personally like the Aeris Elite T3 or the Epic.

Brent

I personally like the Aeris Elite T3 or the Epic.

Brent

These are both good choices, with the Elite T3 being the larger of the two. The Elite T3 is a tad too large for wrist wear for me though. My wife wears her Aeris on a retractor attached to a shoulder D-ring.

It seems implicit in your post that you are looking for wireless AI (wanting to eliminate a dangling hose). Not too many options for that: Oceanic/Aeris Atom 2.0/Epic respectively and the Suunto D9. If you're not set on wireless AI there are plenty of options. The Cressi-Sub Edy is a newer compact option that can do Nitrox. Dive rite made an excellent computer called the Nitek Plus that features gas- swithcing, If you can find one, I highly recommend it. Mares makes the Nemo; there is a new that is particularly attractive.

There are other (cheaper) ways to eliminate "dangling" hose. I dive with wireless AI and like it, but you could always get a compact SPG on a shorter hose and clip it to your waist...

I have been using the Oceanic VT3 (the big brother is size to the Atomic -- Old Man Eyes) and just love it. A post in this same forum talks about buying regrets and lots of people say they wish they went AI wireless instead of a console. While the VT3 does not have the compass feature, it does do most everything else you might need. Cheaper then Suunto computers and I hear the software is better.

If you have some mileage on your eyes, go for the larger display, of the VT3. If you are a youngster, go for the Atomic as it can be worn as a watch and actually tells you the time. Strange for a watch, I know. :)

Best of luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom