Wrist Seals: possible to have unsealable wrists?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RTodd:
1) Push the seals further back on your arm
2) Use good thinsulate undergarments which provide great insulation even when wet. You often won't know your arms got damp until you get out of the water.

Dan, I second this post but either way get the DC Dry Gloves. That way it's never really gonna be an issue and your hands will be nice and warm. I count my DC ring system as one of the best dive things I have ever bought. They are so easy to snap on that they are usually the last thing I put on before I get in the water. I can easily get 'em on with my doubles on and full gear and that's great because you have naked hands to do everything else. :)

Thanks for the advice gang. I'm definitely buying dry gloves. Anyone care to share where they found a good price on the DC ones?

I also talked to the DUI folks and interestingly one of them said that because of the zip seals being a less forgiving material than the latex they've seen where, if the sleeves are a little long, the seals might pull up away from the wrist near the zip seal (at the foldover point) and provide a slightly narrower seal to the wrist.

This might be helping to make my already tendony wrists even less sealable.

No probs. Pull them back further. Check. Dry gloves. Check. Bioseals? For my neck, heck yes. For my wrists, probably not since I'm going with dry gloves anyways.

Does anyone know where to get black DC gloves so I don't have to do the smurf thing? :wink:

Thanks again everyone for all your input.

-Dan

RTodd:
1) Push the seals further back on your arm
I found this was the easiest thing for me, pushing the seals back a bit behind where the tendon channels come up (about the first 2.5-in of my forearm behind my wrists).

Well that and getting a new exhaust valve the old one must have been cracked or something as it just wouldnt stop a little trickle coming in each dive and me opening the seal for a cup of water pouring out and another cup of water wringing out of my undies. :wink:

gerardnealon:
I have known divers where if they bend their wrist a certain way, the tendon pops out and causes a small leak. I dont remember it being anything substantial. I have also never heard of impossible wrists to seal, although it sounds entirely possible. If it is a big problem for you, how about looking into a set of dry gloves?
My regular buddy has the same problem and the only way he has been able to stop the wet sleeves is to go the dry glove route.

Oh Dan, such vanity! :) Don't hate on the smurfs. The blue one's are better for underwater hand signals in poor vis...wich we know well. Right?

Get 'em at Any Water Sports on Saratoga Ave. Great shop.

Also, If you use the Bio Seal be sure to wash your neck seal with some mild soap after every use....but I'm sure you already know that.

CALI68:
Don't hate on the smurfs.

Not trying to diss the smurfs. Just trying to be at least a little different. This whole Borg^H^H^H^HDIR conformity thing gets to me sometimes you know. :wink:

CALI68:
The blue one's are better for underwater hand signals in poor vis...

... But, as you illustrate, there is always good reason behind it. Not that smurf drygloves are DIR . . . are they? :) (I know, I know, wrong forum).

Either way, you make a good point. Hmmm. Maybe we should get Mel to blue tool dip his wetgloves too. :)

-Dan

MaxBottomtime:
Apolla sells a product that's perdfect for you. It's a soft, pliable rubber ring called a Bioseal. It fits between your skin and the drysuit seals.
http://www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Drysuits/Bioseal.htm
This sounds like a newer more sophisticated (and way more expensive) version of what I use to solve this problem... which is a couple of O-rings (the right size, of course) on each wrist under the latex.
S

dbgordon:
Maybe we should get Mel to blue tool dip his wetgloves too. :)

-Dan

LOL, that would be interesting. :)

Back
Top Bottom