Wrist Seals: possible to have unsealable wrists?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbgordon

Reaction score
Is it possible to have wrists on which latex seals will never sit properly and you will always have leaks from? Super deep tendon crevices on a skinny wrist or something? Basically, has anyone had leaky seals, got new ones, cut them back even less, but they still had leaks?

Thanks,
-Dan

I have known divers where if they bend their wrist a certain way, the tendon pops out and causes a small leak. I dont remember it being anything substantial. I have also never heard of impossible wrists to seal, although it sounds entirely possible. If it is a big problem for you, how about looking into a set of dry gloves?

When it comes to drysuits, I'm in the same situation as you. The combination of having naturally skinny wrists combined with years of rock climbing have left me with having soggy sleaves after a drysuit dive. I've tried placing the latex seal on different parts of my wrist and using a smaller opening with a new seal. The best luck I have is placing the seal as close to my palm as I can get, right where your wrist starts to curve out into your palm. It may not be the best solution, but it seems to work for me.

The most effective solution will probably be switching to drygloves. That's the route I chose to take last year. This takes the wrist seal right out of the picture.

Cheers,
Mike

I bet there are lots of people with this problem. My tendons in my wrist stick out when I bend my hand, so I guess I'll have that problem when I get a drysuit. Your options are: live with it, get wet gloves with a long seal on them, or get drygloves.

dbgordon:
Is it possible to have wrists on which latex seals will never sit properly and you will always have leaks from? Super deep tendon crevices on a skinny wrist or something? Basically, has anyone had leaky seals, got new ones, cut them back even less, but they still had leaks?

Thanks,
-Dan

I dive with an HID light in my left hand. When I grip it, I get the tendon tunnels, and I get damp. In my right hand, if I have a game bag, same thing. When I used to shoot UW, the left had would really get it, as that's the hand I carry the cam in.

Its no biggie. Keep your DS undies pushed back, and it won't be too too bad. Just wring them out between dives.

Or get dry gloves... I love mine. No wet sleeve.

---
Ken

My wife also has this issue as she is petite. She started using large cotton wrist bands placed just behind her wrist seals. They help ofcourse by soaking up the SMALL leaks that occur over the course of a dive. If you are dealing with more than small leaks than this may not help. It is a possible cheap solution. Just be sure not to get them caught in the wrist seals...Good Luck!

Thanks for the feedback all. I've been figuring on getting dry gloves regardless. I was curious if what my LDS was telling me was true (that they didn't cut my seals too far back, I just have unsealable wrists).

Sounds like that might be the case. Dry gloves here I come.

-Dan

I was told that if you had problems sealing at the wrist, take an old wetsuit and cut the wrists off to make neoprene wrist bands. And this would help with the sealing.

dbgordon:

Thanks,
-Dan

1) Push the seals further back on your arm
2) Use good thinsulate undergarments which provide great insulation even when wet. You often won't know your arms got damp until you get out of the water.

Back
Top Bottom