wrist mounted dive computer or attached?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wrist mounted computer on left wrist, sturdy SPG clipped to a D-ring on the left side of my BC, and (when necessary) wrist compass on my right wrist. One caution: not having the computer on a console does make it easier to forget to put it on. :). I always store it on a chest D-ring on my BC so if I enter without it I can easily switch it over to my wrist.

With my AI wrist computer I never forget to put it on, I have to so that I can check my tank pressure. If you have an SPG and an AI wrist computer I can see where that may happen.

My computer is mounted in a console together with an analog SPG and I havent had any trouble with that.
However, I also have a Watch Details for Professional Diver | Citizen Eco-Drive on my wrist, so I have depth and time easilly available.
Being familiar with my air consumption I dont have much need to look at the console other than to confirm that my air is going down at the expected rate.
Yeah, I can check my remaining bottom time and stuff like that, but if I dont, the computer will audibly alert me.

...the experienced diver, not the beginner diver falling in the bracket 0 - 24 dives. How many of the latter category carry tools, spares (SPG, hoses, DC, watch, compass), and are comfy assembling/disassembling hoses from 1st/2nd stages, etc? ...and we have not addressed any skills of the individual yet. That is my word of caution.

RTee...fantastic point.

Right after my daughter and I finished our OWs, we decided that we liked the sport of diving and wanted to get more invovled. With my credit card in hand when went to a couple of different LDSs and finally came upon a kit she liked. At the advise of the sales person she bought an AI computer. A few weeks later I came home and followed suit and bought a complete kit and the same AI computer. We were told by the sales person that a SPG and alternate air supply were not necessary since the AI computer had all of the necessary funtions and the BCD's inflator could serve as an alternate air. I remember my thought exactly...cool less stuff to carry around.

The first time my batteries died on a day trip...I was a lost puppy. Lesson learned...I now utilize an alt. air and have redundancy with my guages, two electonic and one SPG backup, along with spare batteries with my kit.

Two points here:

1) All too often people who learn a new skill too often forget those skills in favor of technology. I have seen it with new pilots...they learn the basic skills to fly a small aircarft only to forget them in favor of using a GPS. I have fallen into both of these...and once recogonized, I have made it a point to "re-learn" the proper skills (both in flyiong and in diving). Technology should be an aid not a crutch. Actually, by forcing myself to really pay attention to the dive planning aspect, I have found more pleasure in diving...the same hold true for me in flying as I put more effort in flight planning.

2) I have learned so much by watching others...I also now make it a point if I see something out of place or amiss, I mention it to the person. Either I can offer "my opinion" or learn a new technique. This can be done in a tactful way as not to insult anyone. I know I have appreciated it over the years when someone has spoke up to me when I was about to do something foolish or showed me a better/safer way of doing something. And I keep on learning too...I will never stop learning.

I joined SB to read and learn...and what an education I have gotten. As I gain experience, I see how wrong (for me and my daughter) that first salesperson was in their recommendations and I now see how naive I was to blindly take their advice. In retropect, I think the AI computer was nice, but the SPG and Alternate Air should have been a standard for a diver with 6 dives. But thank goodness our mistakes only cost us to miss a few dives and a few $$.

I like my gizmos and gadgets in life...but I appreciate and respect the lineage.

~ME~

Electronic gadgets is FUN.. Untill they for some reason decide to do what electronics do, die at the least convenient time.
Thats when you either have a backup electronic unit, or a backup analog one..

Electronic gadgets is FUN.. Untill they for some reason decide to do what electronics do, die at the least convenient time.

Yeppers...:wave:

...or a great sense of humor

backup.jpg

Those are both examples of nice computers, the question for me is, are you going to try to eliminate the extra hose by going with a wrist mounted air integrated computer? And if so you would still want a compass somewhere on your person. Or do you like the ease of looking at your wrist to see the computer? We have reviews on the new D series line and the Cobalt on our website. I personally dove with an old suunto spyder ( real old wristwatch style) but also had a backup gauge console computer with compass on my set up. I like wearing the computer like a watch when I am traveling and it looks good :)
its definitely a matter of personal preference although if you get the chance to use both computers for a dive or two you might find that you naturally lean towards one or the other.

Good point on the compass. I have mine on a retractor on my BC. Something that needs to be considered when going with the wireless wrist mount computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom