wrist map

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tiny Bubbles

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I realized that I was mostly using the slate to scribble down directions before a dive, and thought that taking the map with me would be better. So, I took the DIY 4" PVC wrist slate one step farther. I printed out a map of a place that I frequent on regular printer paper, sized to fit the PVC slate. Sprayed the slate with clear plasti-dip (to glue and waterproof the paper map). Layed the map down on the slate while the plasti-dip is still wet. Then sprayed more plasti-dip over the paper map.

-Tiny-B.

looks like it works to me. i am sure someone on here will hate it...call it a point of failure...i just wish my eyes could see a map that small...

Tiny Bubbles:
I realized that I was mostly using the slate to scribble down directions before a dive, and thought that taking the map with me would be better. So, I took the DIY 4" PVC wrist slate one step farther. I printed out a map of a place that I frequent on regular printer paper, sized to fit the PVC slate. Sprayed the slate with clear plasti-dip (to glue and waterproof the paper map). Layed the map down on the slate while the plasti-dip is still wet. Then sprayed more plasti-dip over the paper map.

-Tiny-B.
They have been used for a long time in the military but you just might spark everyone else to start using them. Ideal way to visit some of the dive parks.

They are cool but a word of caution. DO NOT make a smaller version for a finger. Trying to show the map to someone with the wrong finger might start a fight:D

Gary D.

Tiny Bubbles:

-Tiny-B.
Awesome idea. I second the eye thing though. lol

I have in the past printed (acetate) overhead projector transparencies on a laser printer and then just fixed them against a white pvc slate or tube. No need to waterproof anything.
You can make last minute notes notes on the acetate with a chinagraph pencil. - Probably unknown to the younger readers so I am posting a link.
http://www.armadilloart.com/chinagraph_pencils.htm

If the acetate is quite dry when you write on it you can also use a standard overhead projector pen.

miketsp:
You can make last minute notes notes on the acetate with a chinagraph pencil. - Probably unknown to the younger readers so I am posting a link.
http://www.armadilloart.com/chinagraph_pencils.htm

works just fine. If you use paper coted chinagraph pencils, make sure to wrap some duct tape (or simualar) on the pencile first - else the water will couse the paper to swell and peel off.

Tiny Bubbles:

-Tiny-B.
I've found that "vac-pac" bags are just as good.Seal them in a vac-packer and then you can fold them up as well. They also allow you to fold them up and store them for later use!

OK, I liked miketsp's overhead transparancy idea & revised my wrist map. I punched 2 holes in the transparancy, for the bungie, and cut slits to them to make the transparancies removable. This way I can print up a stack of transparancies for various dive plans and maps of dive locations, and swap them out as needed. No need to carve out a new slate for each dive spot. I was initially having trouble with the transparancies getting loose and floating away, so I held off on posting until I resolved that. My solution was to sandwich the transparant map between the pvc slate and a blank transparancy that has no slits, and to put a small rubber band around it all for good measure (rubber band not pictured.)

-Ray

You can also use actual underwater paper (i.e. that mylar drafting film). You can write underwater on it with a normal pencil... in fact that's it's major application. The stuff's not cheap, but it's the simplest and most versatile way to go.

I never put the stuff through a printer though. I guess anything that could handle transparencies would be okay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom