Wrist hair vs wrist seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dont think you wanna use vaseline that will destroy seals.. it sound like your getting the grove in the wrist area from what your doing with you hands.. i dive with a hand swimmer an she has the same problems.. ended up moving the seals up further on her arm an sometimes. wearing heavy dish washing gloves over her dry suit rings..

Don't use vaseline, use water based lube instead.
And yes, I'm talking about the fun kind of lube.

Lets see the other side of your wrist. Move your fingers around, make a fist, etc. Lets see if your tendons are lifting enough to make channels bypassing the seals. That is a lot more common.

I never thought about putting lube.

But … no pun intended … doesn’t it get messy? :cool:

With undersuit and stuff?

I've got prominent tendons and hair on my arms/wrists/body. Dry gloves are a must for dry hands/arms. I keep my beard long/thick and don't have leak issues with my mask.

I exclusively use dry gloves because the sinewy tendons in my wrists are excellent channels for water to flow though even with the tightest of seals. Body hair, not so much of an issue, trust me, I have an excessive surplus, it doesn't cause leaks like one would think.

Yeah, old reliable Vaseline works very well, for flat against the skin seals
The water based lubricant is only for ease of donning and seals nothing
The lengths that old wives go to keep their tales buoyant is astonishing

very much doubt its the arm hair - are you're you tucked the undersuit loops back far enough -failing that id opt for tendon movement as being more likely- are you left or right handed

doesn’t it get messy

You don't need much, just sufficient to get your hands through.

Same rule applies for camera housing O-rings, enough to make it shiny :D

Also it could be your tendons on the forearms. If you flex your hand during the dive frequently it's a common problem.

Another question in my drysuit newbie series.
I did one dive this morning and during it both my undergarment sleeves went wet. My right hand side just a little bit wet, but my left hand side got quite wet (it was dripping water once I removed it).
My arms/torso and dump valve area were dry so the leak should have been from the wrists area.
Both (silicon) wrist seals are good and the suit is brand new (3rd dive with it).

As I was looking for the source of the leak, I was looking at the seal marks on my wrists:

View attachment 692756 View attachment 692758

The seals seem to be sealing quite well on my skin, but could all these hair be causing the leak???
If they do what can I do?? Shaving my wrists sounds awkward at best.

I know I need to shave my beard to prevent mask leaks. I have read here in SB about guys shaving their private areas to use condom catheters etc. Never heard of shaving wrists. Is there such a thing???!!

Once again, thanks for any help.
We’re you hands (liners) wet or dry?

Back
Top Bottom