Wrist hair vs wrist seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stepfen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Another question in my drysuit newbie series.
I did one dive this morning and during it both my undergarment sleeves went wet. My right hand side just a little bit wet, but my left hand side got quite wet (it was dripping water once I removed it).
My arms/torso and dump valve area were dry so the leak should have been from the wrists area.
Both (silicon) wrist seals are good and the suit is brand new (3rd dive with it).

As I was looking for the source of the leak, I was looking at the seal marks on my wrists:

1637928582883.png
1637928628778.png

The seals seem to be sealing quite well on my skin, but could all these hair be causing the leak???
If they do what can I do?? Shaving my wrists sounds awkward at best.

I know I need to shave my beard to prevent mask leaks. I have read here in SB about guys shaving their private areas to use condom catheters etc. Never heard of shaving wrists. Is there such a thing???!!

Once again, thanks for any help.

Dry gloves could be a solution.

Dry gloves could be a solution.
Indeed, but given the temperatures I am diving in (right now 68oC/20oC and in winter minimums of 63oF/17oC ) I would prefer to avoid using gloves and the related lose of dexterity if possible.

I have a similar problem, and I know many who have it :) It happens relatively often to thin people. Basically, when you contract your forearms to use your fingers, the tendons come up, and they leave a small opening between the seals and your skin. Just put on your drysuit and contract your fingers -> you should see it.

For many people, a simple solution is to move the seals higher or lower on your wrists, but that doesn't always solve the problem, and, sometimes, it solves it partially.

To give you an idea, I use dry gloves even in 25°C water sometimes... it isn't a matter of temperature, just a matter of avoiding water.

This is one possible explanation, but there could be others...

Grease your arm hair as you would grease your mustache/beard wearing a mask. At the end, mask skirt is also silicon ;-).

I never did it... I should try :) do you use any particular kind of lubricant?

Bingo! I think what @ginti said (thin wrist + tendon movement) is the main issue in my case.
During today's dive I removed some old fishing nets that were abandoned on a wall. Hence I did a lot of finger movements to cut through several thick-ish ropes etc with my shears and a lot of other hand movements (pulling ropes etc). I mainly used my left hand to keep my good hand (I am right handed) free in case of an entanglement or something.

Hair could/might be an issue too, but on the previous dives I didn't have (noticeable) leaks.

You are awesome guys.

Bingo! I think what @ginti said (thin wrist + tendon movement) is the main issue in my case.
During today's dive I removed some old fishing nets that were abandoned on a wall. Hence I did a lot of finger movements to cut through several thick-ish ropes etc with my shears and a lot of other hand movements (pulling ropes etc). I mainly used my left hand to keep my good hand (I am right handed) free in case of an entanglement or something.

Hair could/might be an issue too, but on the previous dives I didn't have (noticeable) leaks.

You are awesome guys.

Hair *shouldn't* be an issue (never say never). For me, it is really the use of hands (valve drills can be awful).

Keep in mind that the shape of the wrist seals can make the difference as well. For me, conical/round seals are the worst (like these: Latex Wrist - Round - Seals - Products - SI-TECH)

Bottleneck seals are a bit better (like these ones: Latex Wrist (narrow sleeve) - Seals - Products - SI-TECH)

Silicone vs latex doesn't really make any difference, but I have more experience with latex (maybe if I play a bit more with silicone, I can solve the issue... I just do not know)

But I still need dry gloves to avoid 100% of water; and I want to try vaseline, as suggested by @Ucarkus

any particular kind of lubricant?

I use Durex lube on both my wrist and neck seals.

I have very hairy wrists and never had any leaking issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom