Wrist Computer vs. Gauge Cluster Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of the time I have the computer on the right wrist and the compass on the left wrist for the same reason as you are. However, there are times when I go hunting, I prefer to have my wrists/forearms without encumberances.

Yes, hunting, although I don't, would be the only situation where I would consider a console.

The most important thing in diving (and in life) is that you look good doing it. A dangling console cluster marks you as a tourist diver; the troooly kewl wear their computer on their wrist and clip an SPG on the left waist d-ring. Seriously, if you go with a console, just be sure to clip it off somewhere so it's not bonking along the bottom (with the octo).

Seriously, if you go with a console, just be sure to clip it off somewhere so it's not bonking along the bottom (with the octo).

Or you can route it underneath your armpit and to the front of the BC where it doesn't dangle much and you don't have to unclip it or fish for it in order to take a look.

I like my Suunto Cobra because everything is on one screen. If buying today, buy the Cobra 3 with the electronic compass. I keep mine routed under my arm and clipped on my right d-ring so I can glance down to read it without moving an arm.

one more thing to consider - some consoles don't easily disconnect. do you plan to keep your log up-to-date? can you see yourself doing that with the whole console/regs/hose wad in your lap? if so, great. if that sounds like something that would keep you from updating, just consider that when you're thinking about the choice.

Hi all, I'm a fairly new diver with about 25 dives on my log (all in Grand Cayman) and I'm ready to invest in a BC, reg, octo and gauge cluster. I'm really only planning to dive in tropical waters, mostly in Cayman. I've pretty much narrowed down gear to: ScubaPro Glide Pro BC, ScubaPro MK25/S600, Oceanic Alpha 8, but I can't determine which configuration I want for my gauge cluster, or which brand.

I have a SubGear XP-10 computer which is fine, but to be honest I prefer to just look at my gauge cluster which always includes a computer on the rented gear I use. The first question is: is it necessary to use a wrist computer at all if I prefer to use a gauge cluster computer? What would be the disadvantage of eliminating a wrist computer?

The next question is which instruments do I want on my cluster? And finally which make and model would everyone suggest?

Thanks.

Most people once they get a few 100 dives under their wing find that there is no real need to continually be checking their pressure guages. Personally once I reach depth I glance at the gauge and then once again ~4 minutes later. Based on this I know my average air consumption and can get an idea of what my 'air time' will be. I only look at it again if I have to change my exertion levels like if I hit a current that I have to swim hard into.

But as a straight up comparison the
advantage of a wrist console
1. Easy to glance at in any position
2. Can take it off and sit in the pub and fill your log book out
3. Less likely to get dinged and scrapped

Advantage of cluster
1. Can never forget it in the dive bag (at least not without forgetting your regs)
2. Everything is in 1 spot if you like reading your gauges constantly
3. Air integrated whip consoles are considerably cheaper the wireless ones :)

I'm wrestling with this question also. I don't want my primary pressure gauge to be electronic (bit of a Luddite I guess), so I'm considering going big bucks and getting a Vyper Air, or smaller cost with a Zoop, or economy with a Puck, along with my gauges.

Back
Top Bottom