Wrist computer free dive mode ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnshenry

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking to by wrist dive computers for my wife and I. We are recreational , "vacation" divers with maybe 60 or so dives in 20 years. No Nitrox, we don't want AI, just something to watch our profiles and give us a good RN calc, ascent warnings, etc. I have done a lot of reading here, and am considering either Suunto Zoop or Mares Puck.... BUT...

I was just looking at a computer comparo site, and saw that some wrists have "Free Dive" mode. I love free diving, and do it a lot on vacation, just pushing myself a bit and trying to get to a neutral buoyancy at 20-25ft and doing some sightseeing there. I would love a computer that could just track and log my depth and times. Puck and Mares don't have this, I think an Oceanic model did. I am trying to get computers for $300 or less.

What exactly do these free dive modes do? Are them more for competitive, deeper, longer duration dives? Or would they be of use for a 60-90 second dive and be able to log that?

Free diving aside, any other thoughts or recommendations on wrist cops based on what I stated above? Going back to Grand Cayman in Sept, would like to have something by then...

TIA,

JH

Aeris F10 V2 Freediving Computer Watch

I use this for free diving. I do a lot of spearfishing. It's free dive only. Easy to replace the battery also. I've been using one for over three years and two battery changes now. No problems at all.

I mainly use a computer to track my surface interval free diving. After doing dives of 60 feet or more (I go up to 75 or so) I try to do an interval at least three times the length of the dive time before diving again.

It's also good to see how deep you are especially if hunting in blue water with no bottom. You can then review your history also. I am learning that at about 30 dives in a day, I start to have eustachian tube blockage in my left ear.

I have…had….a Suunto D4. It has both free and scuba modes. My son still uses his but mine died. The bands on them suck also. They break. I now have a Suunto Zoop for scuba.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom