Wrist computer for depth/time only?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a friend, for reasons I can't quite fathom, who wants a wrist computer for depth and time functions only. Doesn't want or care about any other functions. Asked me for suggestions. So sounds like something as inexpensive as possible.

What would you recommend?

Pyle makes a $100 dive watch but their quality has a reputation: a pyle of s*it. It's the cheapest that I know of, I'm not recommending it.

Edit: buying new, obviously.

Last edited:
Look for a used Uwatec Bottom Timer. We're still using one that's 15yr old or so as a backup computer.

I have a friend, for reasons I can't quite fathom, who wants a wrist computer for depth and time functions only. Doesn't want or care about any other functions. Asked me for suggestions. So sounds like something as inexpensive as possible.

A used computer that has a Gauge Mode. Of course, even when not in Gauge Mode, any computer will display depth and time along with no-deco time. Gauge Mode just masks the no-deco time.

As for your friend's reasons, I would be curious to know what he or she has in mind. Some people still use tables. But if that's the case, why not buy a computer and ignore the no-deco time or put it in Gauge Mode as noted above? Also, sometimes a gear list for a course will specify that the student needs a "depth gauge" and a "bottom timer," but that is just a matter of minimalist terminology; most people satisfy that requirement by using a computer in class, and either ignoring the no-deco time or putting it in Gauge Mode.

Friend is a long term diver with an ancient dive computer on a console.

Friend is a long term diver with an ancient dive computer on a console.
Sounds like the friend is making bad decisions for nostalgia's sake. A digital bottom timer is no cheaper than a basic computer which would be a noticeable improvement over the ancient one.

If it's just the cost question, it's pretty much buy used, buy mares puck, or wait for deep 6.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom