Wrist Compass recomendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SO and me both have a Sk7. She has it in a console, I have a bungee. The Sk 7 is very easy to read.

Just switched from a hose mount compass that I hated to an SK7 in the DSS wrist mount (got it already in the DSS mount from northeast scuba supply). I find myself really liking the SK7. A potential disadvantage, based on some of the threads I've read on the board from some of the more experienced divers, is that some of the SK7s have developed an issue over time that causes the compass card to get stuck or drag at depth - but I don't know how common that is.

Last edited:
I find the SK7 to be too tall on my wrist. I prefer the lower profile of the SK5 or the Dive Rite Tech compass.

I own a SK, but should I end up in a need to do it again, I'd likely try the DR Tech.... each has advantages and disadvantages, but both are desirable....

Keep your eye out in the classifieds here as well.

I bought this one.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...lyzers/447308-suunto-compass-w-dss-mount.html

---------- Post added October 4th, 2013 at 08:53 AM ----------

I just checked over on LeisurePro and they have it on sale...
Suunto SK7 Wrist Compass | LeisurePro

Thanks Keith, this is exactly what I came to SB this morning to find out. Great recommendation AND a great price? Two for two!

A potential disadvantage, based on some of the threads I've read on the board from some of the more experienced divers, is that some of the SK7s have developed an issue over time that causes the compass card to get stuck or drag at depth - but I don't know how common that is.

It is quite common and a well-known issue. There a a few threads on how to fix it. Many divers just live with it and if there is a problem they just replace it. Some have switched out to the Uwatec compass and others use a generic compass like these. Underwater Navigation Compasses - Dive Gear Express

I use a mini suunto.
don't know the model number but its about 1 inch in diameter.

you can just about put it anywhere .

consoles definitely suck.

I used to recommend the SK-7, like everybody else -- but over 8 years, we've had so many of them fail that we have switched to the Uwatech compasses. They're a bit less forgiving of tilt, and the numbers are smaller, which annoys my old eyes, but we have yet to have one fail.

Whats the difference between a expensive compass like that one vs a cheap one?

The cheap ones don't seem to fail due to hairline fractures. They also give you a reason to stay closer to horizontal (or at least know where that is).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom