Wrench size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AzAtty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm removing the stock Thermo 5250N k-valves from my PST LP104's and installing a manifold. I really dislike using adjustable wrenches when possible ("URT" rule), so I'd prefer to use a plain old non-adjustable tool. I don't have a caliper to measure the size of wrench I'll need, but my trusty ruler puts it at about 1.5". Can anyone confirm that measurement for me/provide a different size?

BTW, I already called the manufacturer, made them pull the shop drawings and the couldn't tell me what size wrench I'd need. So I'm hoping the combined wisdom of this board can get me the information I need. Thanks.

I just measured mine, and it too comes out to 1.5" or 38mm. Consider that you're likely to get much more use out that 18" Crescent wrench than you will out of the correct size open end tool. You'd only be using it once a year for visuals.
Oh, jeez, I hope I haven't angered the URT guys! Just make sure it's a really good quality adjustable, that ought to appease them. :)
Hey, when's the next URT-F class? Too many divers don't know how to keep their torque wrenches horizontal and need to be weaned from their reliance on digital calipers!

Neil

Yeah, those digital calipers rot the brain.

Although SAW-F (Sneaking Around the Wife Fundamentals)training, and the associated text "Sneaking Around the Wife: The Fundamentals of Avoiding Spousal Objections to Equipment Purchases" briefly discuss merging Using the Right Tool protocols into SAW, I don't think the course provides an adequate discussion of how to square the two. One of the sound criticisms of SAW is that it makes implementation of full URT protocols unduly expensive, as SAW requires full redundancy in your toolset and shop--one full set at home, and a full set for the secret shop where you do all your work. Thus, my dilemma--I can't simply drag the equipment home and work on it there.

Unfortunately, I haven't taken the SAW Tech 1 class, which I understand teaches advanced gas management techniques (to avoid becoming a windbag) and critical skills such as tracking the partial pressure and accumulation of B.S. in one's efforts to sneak around the wife. I think those skills would be helpful if one does not wish to implement full redundancy, as the influx of equipment into one's home would increase.

I'd really like to take the SAW CAVE I (Car, Airplane/Vehicle Expendiures) course, which should be helpful to conceal travel expenses relating to scuba diving. But I understand that CAVE II actually teaches you advanced purchasing techniques while avoiding the hazards that come from operating in an overhead environment near the ceiling of your credit limit.

I've also heard that some people have lobbied to include SAYS (Sneaking Around with Your Secretary) protocols into SAW. From what I understand, though, a true adherent of SAW would never consider such a foolhardy venture. After successfully employing SAW techniques to acquire equipment, pursuit of SAYS-related activities would result in extremely adverse consequences such as division of that equipment by the divorce court, attorney's fees, and possible bodily harm. The consensus among SAW followers is that the Wife is a necessary component in the SAW process, and pursuing SAYS would be destructive to that process.

I guess I better go sacrifice a joint bank account to the SAW gods.

Dude, the right tool IS an adjustable wrench...

wow, some people scare me with the sh*t they come up with...

I reached the same conclusion, Lubold. But you're probably right, my tool preference is completely invalid and my questions are baseless. I'll be the first to admit that my tool selection experience is woefully inadequate. I spent just a single year building tools and dies in my grandfather's machine shop during college. And I spent a bare six months in a foundry learning to mix and pour steel alloys.

This paucity of mechanical skill is a constant blight, and I pass whole hours of my waking moments lamenting my ignorance. Yet, the proverbial silver lining shimmers upon the edges of the cloud over my sojourn in this mortal sphere: for recognition of ignorance is the genesis of wisdom. Thus, by debasing my pride and exposing my ignorance to the slings and arrows churlish men, I may yet elevate my cognition to the eschelon occupied by geniuses. Thus, I am indebted to you.

Use a rubber mallet.. gently.

Rosy Palm that is.... A nice whack with the heel of my hand always does the trick for me. Valve closed (AFTER openning to ensure the tank is empty) helps avaiod bending your stem.

WW

WreckWriter once bubbled...
Rosy Palm that is.... A nice whack with the heel of my hand always does the trick for me. .
WW

Oh, WW,
One of the basic tenets of URT is NEVER strike a tool with your hand. Too many delicate nerves in there that can be damaged. That way lies carpal tunnel syndrome. Now you have to take the course again. Remember, it's a certification course now, not just a seminar. Use the mallet, Luke.

AzAtty,
Your mentors should have informed you of the financial commitment inherent with merging URT and SAW. It was irresponsible of them so I suggest you sue them. And let your secretary elevate your cognition.
Neil

Back
Top Bottom