Wrecks of Nanaimo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sassyalice

Oracle
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are looking at the Mambro to do the wrecks of Nanaimo soon. and then in April we are going on the New Nautilus Swell.

I am wondering about the depths of the wrecks in BC here?

I have my deep, so that isn't my concern, I am curious about the lengths of dives if they are deep. (Not a big fan of the short dive)

This is something our LDS is putting together, and would not have so many questions if not for SB.
I am not wreck certified but have penetrated a few. So I am wondering if these down here are going to require me reconfiguring my gear ( A Yes I know, But a few hints and ideas would be nice)

I will post all wreck info I come across here to put it all in one place.

Last edited:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/962701-post17.html
For those interested... the Rivtow Lion depth stats:

At Zero Tide (Low Water):
-Sand at the bow 80 feet
-base of rudder 60 feet (just out of sand)
-Aft main deck 45 feet
-Bridge windows 45 feet
-Top of funnel 36 feet
-Top of mast (behind funnel - midship) 33 feet
-Attitude: bow down with approx. a 15 degree list to port
Recent Viz: Awesome 45 to 55 feet or greater

In Nanaimo a high tide is usually around 15 feet (add to above numbers), a really high tide can be 17 feet, average tide is 8-9 feet.

As stated above, you can play & explore for about an hour and not worry about your NDL.

Come and enjoy! :wink:

Cape Breton/Sask are around 100', and you're going to want lots of gas.

Decks are at around 90'. Hard bottom is right around 130' on both. The floor of the engine room in Cape Breton is at about 135'.

These are pretty much square profile dives if you ascend/descend along the bow or stern lines. I dove both using 28% EAN to maximize bottom times.

We are looking at the Mambro to do the wrecks of Nanaimo soon. and then in April we are going on the New Nautilus Swell.

I am wondering about the depths of the wrecks in BC here?

I have my deep, so that isn't my concern, I am curious about the lengths of dives if they are deep. (Not a big fan of the short dive)

This is something our LDS is putting together, and would not have so many questions if not for SB.
I am not wreck certified but have penetrated a few. So I am wondering if these down here are going to require me reconfiguring my gear ( A Yes I know, But a few hints and ideas would be nice)

I will post all wreck info I come across here to put it all in one place.

I'm not wreck certified either, but I too have penetrated a few.

The 737 wreck is 5 hours away driving+ferry from north Vancouver. If you're looking for places local to north van, there's Whytecliff park (the cut or the day marker), Porteau Cove, and Sea Dragon Charters.

Edge Diving, Ocean Quest, or International Dive Centre will be your best bets for gear rental/fills if need be.

The 737 wreck is 5 hours away driving+ferry from north Vancouver. If you're looking for places local to north van, there's Whytecliff park (the cut or the day marker), Porteau Cove, and Sea Dragon Charters.

Edge Diving, Ocean Quest, or International Dive Centre will be your best bets for gear rental/fills if need be.

Thanks for the leads. I'm surprised to see it takes 5 hours to cover that distance. I guess after facing the cross-country travel I assume things are closer than they are there. I've never been to the west coast, and am looking forward to diving there with my daughter.

I see from your profile you're a programmer by profession. I'm one myself. I've done machine automation for a long time and building automation recently.What sort do you do?

Kirk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom