Wrecks in tobermory?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Worth it?

Cool wrecks, but sooooo cold!

I did my checkout dives in Tobermory in June. Air temps were 26C, but the water was only 6C. It was frigid even in a 7mm suit/hood/gloves/boots.

the wife and i drove down there one summer a few years back. we really enjoyed the trip down and the little town is interesting.
be aware that finding accomodations is a challenge unless you book well in advance. some people book a year ahead.
i was able to get in two dive days. one was great but the second was not so good. the winds were picking up. we had been told at the shop we were good to go to dive the arabia. we double checked with the captain before leaving the dock. then once we were loaded and out on the water. we were informed we would not be diving the arabia. we were told it was too rough. it really was not that bad. i have been in far worse conditions on the ocean.
it was pretty obvious they did not want to cancel at the dock. everyone would have left and they would have made no money that day. instead they had a boat with a handful of pissed off divers.
i know you cant control the weather but in this case it was obvious to everyone what really happened.
it did not spoil the trip though. we enjoyed it.

Absolutely. The weather can be a little tricky, but coming up from a great dive with a full blown squall is, well, memorable.

the wife and i drove down there one summer a few years back. we really enjoyed the trip down and the little town is interesting.
be aware that finding accomodations is a challenge unless you book well in advance. some people book a year ahead.
i was able to get in two dive days. one was great but the second was not so good. the winds were picking up. we had been told at the shop we were good to go to dive the arabia. we double checked with the captain before leaving the dock. then once we were loaded and out on the water. we were informed we would not be diving the arabia. we were told it was too rough. it really was not that bad. i have been in far worse conditions on the ocean.
it was pretty obvious they did not want to cancel at the dock. everyone would have left and they would have made no money that day. instead they had a boat with a handful of pissed off divers.
i know you cant control the weather but in this case it was obvious to everyone what really happened.
it did not spoil the trip though. we enjoyed it.
which dive operation was this?

Hell yes. Arabia is awesome
Is there an operation you dove with? Is it somewhere I can go with myself or ask my LDS if they would make a trip up there? It is within driving distance...I think.

Is there an operation you dove with? Is it somewhere I can go with myself or ask my LDS if they would make a trip up there? It is within driving distance...I think.

I went on a trip in 2019 organized by a Midwest dive shop.

There is ONE dive op in town: Divers Den. They’ve absorbed everyone else as they retired or sold up.

You could go by yourself but if you’re looking at doing more advanced or deco dives, best to set it up yourself. My trip had several tech divers. There were only two recreational divers (I was one of them).

I like Tobermory diving!

There are a few small independent charters you can try to coordinate with to get in the diving you want, otherwise you get "captain's/shop's choice".

Diver's Den runs a good operation, but there are "issues" when you are dealing with "cattle boat" situations.

Weather? Cold? Welcome to the Great Lakes.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom