Wreckmania 2002 - Trip Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SunshineFish

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I thought I'd better record my trip report before the memory gets any fuzzier (it's already started). Also, I will be away for a week visiting the PNW aka Uncle Pug's playgroup so maybe when I get back there will be more to read to relive my Wreckmaniac moments.

Viz was about 25-30 feet all weekend.

Saturday, July 20
Dive #1
Ancient Mariner (70 ft, 24 min, Water temp 75 F)

First dive of wreckmania! DM Bryan sets the hook and reports back that there is a very strong current (2 knots is what I'm told). I, having never been in current, look at him with a blank face and think: how bad can a Florida current be?

Actually, in all honesty, I don't even think I remember the dive briefing. I think I'm making this part up about him reporting the current. But I'm rationizing that since he always makes a dive briefing after setting the hook, he must have done so for this one whether I was paying attention or not. The point is that after this dive, I payed VERY CAREFUL attention to every dive briefing afterwards. Because I nearly got the wind knocked out of me and my body swept all the way back to New York when I jumped into the water and did not grab on to the tag line (which he probably told us to do when I wasn't paying attention). At this precise moment, I could understand why 2 divers before me aborted the dive. Somehow, I made it to the tag line and pulled myself down to the wreck (despite annoyance of having to go R-E-A-L S-L-O-W because the darn ears wouldn't clear - I rather enjoyed the flag on flagpole feeling). Quick tour of wreck and it was time to ascend. Wished that the viz was better.

Dive #2
Opal Tower Reef (67ft, 48 min, Water temp 75 F)

We opted to do a drift dive due to strong currents on the United Caribbean. I have to admit that it was a nice change to just drift instead of hold on to a line for dear life. There were a variety of coral and fish life to see. I particularly like those sharpnose puffers. NetDoc finds the only moral eel that I would see on this trip. I think through the excitement of my first dive of the trip, I failed to notice how chilly the water was. I do not have any cold tolerance and 9 minutes into the dive, I wondered how I would make it through 2.5 more days of diving in my 3 mil full suit, 3 mil hood, and gloves. I envy those people like Mr. Instructor who can dive in just swim trunks. Maybe next trip I will add a 5 mil hooded vest.

Dive #3
Ancient Mariner (69ft, 42min, Water temp 77 F)

This was my 2nd wreck dive but first class dive. This time, I jumped into the water and immediately grabbed the tag line. What a difference not having to kick like there's no tomorrow. One this dive, we were to deploy our reels and demonstrate proficient reel skills. My buddy Big O goes first and performs marvelously. I, on the other hand, failed miserably ;-0. (Sorry Big O that you had to witness this.) I thought I knew how to use the reel I borrowed - it seemed so simple on land! - but as I struggled to lay the line, I obviously did not know what was going on. Somehow, I had engaged the locking mechanism which I did not even knew existed! and Walter had to come to the rescue to rearrange me. On the way back, I engaged the locking mechanism again! (or maybe I never disengaged it in the first place) and Walter had to come again and show me how to push the little bar that would allow me to reel the line back in. Sigh. It gets worse but I think (seriously) I blocked those events from my mind. Let's just say DivingGal had to take NetDoc's whole reel apart to untangle the mess I made of it. All I kept thinking about was how in a real life situation, I just got myself and my buddy lost and probably killed.

Diver #4
United Caribbean (66ft, 33 min, Water temp 77 F)

In an attempt to redeem myself, I asked to do the reel exercise again. I was buddied with Lydia who had yet to perform the drill. I consulted with NetDoc about what I did wrong and after a thorough discussion and demonstration of the locking mechanism, I was ready (I hoped) to get back into the water. I volunteered to go first so that I could get it done and over with in case I screwed up again and lose another buddy. This time, however, I was able to lay the line and reel it back in without any trouble. Whew! Lydia went next and did a great job!

Sunday, July 21
Dive #5
Daptain Dan (98 ft, 33 min, Water temp 79 F)

Notice that the water temp is slowly warming up! It took me a long time to clear my ears for this first dive of the day. I got down in about 7 minutes, DivingGal and I did a short tour of the wreck when she signaled that she was low on air and time to ascend. I didn't realize how low on air she was until she took my octo out of its holder. This was my first buddy breathing experience and I kept thinking: I hope my octo works and I hope I remember what my OW instructor taught me about buddy breathing. About 15 feet, DG switched to NetDoc's primary. Also about this time, the current rips my regulator out of my mouth. In these stressful situations, it's amazing the amount of eternity that passes by when in reality, only 2 seconds did. Once again, my mind drifted back to OW training about regulator recovery but what to do when the current is trying to rip your one-handed hold off the anchor line?? A couple eternities and 3/4s of a breath later, I was able to find my reg and all was okay again.

Dive #6
Qualmann Tugs (90 ft, 37 min, Water temp 79 F)

Drift dive of Jay Dorfman and 3 tugs. Today, I learned another lesson - quite a basic one actually - keep track of your buddy/buddies! I followed 2 people around thinking they were someone else. Funny at the time but not so funny the more I think about it.

Monday, July 22
Dive #7
Grouper Bend Reef (62 ft, 49 min, Water temp 81 F)

Attempted to dive Captain Dan but currents too strong. Did drift dives instead. Most interesting thing on this dive was seeing a scrawled file fish that followed us around.

Diver #8
Touchdown Reef (45ft, 35 min, Water temp 81 F)

Last dive of the trip. Nice relaxing drift dive.

I must have redeemed myself enough on the second reel dive, because Walter passed me on my Wreck Certification course. He also taught a nitrox class so now Sass, Lydia, and I are certified to dive nitrox. I now have 36 dives logged - Woo-hoo! (Jeff - I will reach 100 yet.)

However, I must say that taking a class (this happend in OW and AOW as well) distracts me from truly enjoying a dive. I'm so concentrated on performing tasks that I didn't really appreciate the wrecks and its layout, etc. (I do remember the little Christmas tree on the United Caribbean though.)

Soooo....that means I'll just have to go back down and dive them again! :wink: You know, to refresh my memory....or to create some.

Good report Sandy!

I always learn more from my mistakes than when things go perfectly.

Monday, the currents were in excess of 3 knots.

It sounds like you did very well. The lessons you learn from your mistakes are the ones you always remember! :wink:

We're proud of ya! :thumb:

Thanks for the report!!

It sounds like you people had a great time. :)

We're now looking forward to the report from UP's Playground. :wink:

I'd dive with you anytime. Just goes to show how a moment's inattention could get you into a spot of difficulty.

TOTALLY my fault -- I was paying attention more to the critters down on the wreck (a habit of mine) than I was to my SPG. So warning - warning please remember your training, and watch your air. Yes I believe I could have made it up (I came up with air still available), but with using some of Sandy's and some of Pete's air I had that comfortable margin. Thanks guys.... they must have trusted me not to do the silliness again 'cause we all went for another dive together this time I was checking more often (probably in excess) and finished the dive with over 1000 psi.

So I learned from my mistake -- and was reminded of my training, monitor your air (particularly at depth), and allow for more air if you are going up an ascent line and going to pretend you're a flag.

Those buddy lines that Walter presented us with sure came in handy.

And a good report. Glad everything turned out alright for you.

You wrote up a nice summary, hope I can do as well sometime this weekend.

Happy Diving,

Scuba-sass :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom