Wreckage Recovery from 900 feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think the risk posed by putting a diver, however well trained, into 900fsw is worth a body.

Absolutely quite agree hence the small lightweight ROV suggestion and besides as Akimbo states you need to know where it is first.

Very few things are worth putting a diver into that much danger for.

You need to say that on the rebreather forum.

You might just think that, I couldn't possibly comment LOL)

Great way to kill yourself ask Dave shaw. I'm not sure why you would ever need to send a human that deep anyway? What exactly can a person in full dry suit and pressurized to the limits of human anatomy do that a robot or exosuit cant? Or sub?

The original proposal for the attempted body recovery that Dave Shaw undertook was to have commercial divers perform the operation. With surface supplied air and such, it would likely have been a much less risky endeavour. If I recall correctly, it wasn't allowed since the site prevented a bell from being positioned close enough (I don't know nearly enough about procedures to say where it should have gone or whatever).

The original proposal for the attempted body recovery that Dave Shaw undertook was to have commercial divers perform the operation. With surface supplied air and such, it would likely have been a much less risky endeavour. If I recall correctly, it wasn't allowed since the site prevented a bell from being positioned close enough (I don't know nearly enough about procedures to say where it should have gone or whatever).

I'm not sure about what the equipment issues were but that dive should not have proceeded as it did. Dave Shaw was also undertrained and out of his depth. He had been diving for only 4 years. I think in the 14 years I've spent diving, I've been trained in something he wasn't: common sense.

OP asked if it was possible, yes it is, but is it smart? I think not.

Saturation diving is a field I am not familiar with. All I know is it is considered a very dangerous job, and I know of at least one incident offshore in the gulf where somebody brought electronics into the decompression chamber and everyone died in the resulting fire/explosion. It's safety history is hardly exemplary, and could easily be called poor.

This is 2014. We have submersibles and robotics capable of replacing divers at that depth, and robots and subs don't file lawsuits. Why do people feel the need to push the limits way into the danger zone for little observable gain?

2cold4california, I think you are out of your depth here, so to speak. You are making opinionated assertions about an industry you agree you know nothing about. Chill.

The Hydra 8 program sent divers down to 1800ft of water. I cannot find any information on ultra deep diving in detail. The HMS Endinburgh heavy cargo salvage was carried out at 800ft. Akimbo is right on dives past 800ft.

2cold4california, I think you are out of your depth here, so to speak. You are making opinionated assertions about an industry you agree you know nothing about. Chill.

Could you provide any statistics or points to refute my assertions? I don't need to know about saturation diving. It's done by people who trade safety for short term financial benefit, like those fishing boats Alaska. We all know they only get the most intelligent and hard workings applicants lol.

Could you provide any statistics or points to refute my assertions? I don't need to know about saturation diving. It's done by people who trade safety for short term financial benefit, like those fishing boats Alaska. We all know they only get the most intelligent and hard workings applicants lol.

You know, people have 2 ears and 1 mouth. That implies that you should listen twice as much as you talk. Also, as a very wise man once told me, "it's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought wise than to open it and prove the fool"

Just saying....

Steve

You know, people have 2 ears and 1 mouth. That implies that you should listen twice as much as you talk. Also, as a very wise man once told me, "it's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought wise than to open it and prove the fool"

Just saying....

Steve

Sounds like advice you should be following right now :wink:

Sounds like advice you should be following right now :wink:
There is an old adage....when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

Attached is a clip from a recent OSHA presentation. The saturation diving in the oil industry has had ZERO fatalities since 2008.
Capture.jpg

This guy's hilarious - especially where we live in a world where a 200m+ CCR dive isn't any kind of a record, even if the logistics make it such a huge annoyance few of us bother doing it, much less every weekend.

What I really want to know if whether, after his 14 years of diving, that 50-99 dive count is accurate. That'd be about the only thing that could make his posts funnier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom