Wreck Rights and Wrongs!

What do you think should be the regulations on artifacts of wrecks?

• They remain untouched

Votes: 56 76.7%
  • They should be put in museums

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • They should be available for whoever finds them

Votes: 10 13.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of the older divers in this part of the world carried claw hammers, spanners and pry bars on their weight belts. There is an old war time catalina wreck that is very popular in the Clyde, my fellow divers have torn it to bits over the years. Wrecks are generaly safer today, in the 60's copper degausing cable and brass was well worth salvaging, and mercury was worth a fortune. Sorry you are short of old bottles I could fill warehouses with them, there are so many lying around on the bottom of the Clyde, but why bother. What we are really short of these days is fish. Perhaps we should persuade our government to let us sink the decommisioned trawlers for the future generations of dive tourists.

Originally posted by njdiver1
Your Government signed on with the UNESCO treaty. You might want to look into it. Some provisions will prevent you and your fellow Canadians from even diving on some of your wrecks.

Yes, when our government signed the treaty, it did place a number of restrictions on divers. However, fortunate for most of us, it applies to the "international" waters, not the waters that are under the jurisdiction of the provinces. It becomes a bit on the "muddy" side of things where the USA and Canada share the border through the St Lawrence and the Great Lakes. I believe the provincial as the jurisdiction... I'll check and get back to you on that one.

want to read it for yourself. You will be surprised at how ambiguous it really is. If you'd like I have the treaty and a few other articles on PDF and Word doc files. Let me know if you need help researching this.

Tonight on The History Channel at 9PM ET & PT there is program called "Raise the Alabama" about the excavation of an old warship and its artifacts...

http://www.historychannel.com/alabama/

Looks like it might at least show some cool footage of wreck divers at 200+ fsw. I know I'm gonna watch it.

I watched the special on "Raising the Alabama". A very interesting story which I knew nothing about prior to watching the show. I never realized a CSS ship ventured so far from home. I found it interesting how they found items unrelated to the "Alabama" on the dive site. Items like Perrier bottles and china which was dated after the Alabama sank. I guess there are litter bugs wherever you go. :(

I also watched the show on the S.S. Central America last night. A steam powered sidewheeler which ferried people and gold from San Francisco to the East coast during the gold rush days. She was sunk in a hurricane 130 years ago full of gold ingots and coins.

Obviosly this was a ship that most divers would never be able to dive to (due to its depth). How does everyone feel about the removal of the gold from a wreck like this? Personally I believe in finders keepers. Those who found the wreck invested years of thier life and countless sums of money just trying to find the ship. I believe those efforts should be rewarded.

Just an FYI for those who may be diving the US side of the Great Lakes, most of the Great Lakes floor is now designated as Underwater Preserves. Most all wrecks lay within these preserves that have been found. NOTHING can be taken from these wrecks. Arrests are made for those that do. (Fellow divers do turn in violators) So in the Great Lakes, know the rules. I also know that the Canadian side also has restrictions.

Back
Top Bottom