Lessons Wreck Penetration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

May be in Australia you are dinner.
What do you mean? That is dinner.
There are a lot of living things that are over engineered to either , sting, spike, bite or eat you here.

I am perplexed after reading wreck diver training outlines and talking to a couple of instructors. IMHO, treatment of silt-outs is incomplete and backwards. I am a firm believer that divers need to spend a fair amount of time in zero visibility before they penetrate a wreck or even start a wreck diving class.

Here's the logic:
Wreck divers will eventually find themselves in black-out conditions. It really doesn't matter why. All your lights can fail. Silt can be stirred up by an awkward move, another diver, shifting debris, or wresting a prize binnacle to sunlight. In the end you are in the dark and have to deal with it.

Everyone's first experience in black water is uncomfortable at best. Symptoms range from a little paranoia to "get me the hell out of here" panic. Air consumption goes up, time perception is shot, and you reflexively recoil from the slightest touch — making matters worse. Almost everyone gets over it in time.

IMHO, the great majority of wreck diving classes compound the problem. They place great emphasize on avoiding black-out conditions and address managing it with lip service. All the talk about avoidance, spare lights, and depending on your buddy isn't very useful when you are suddenly alone and in the dark. That dread and total lack of habituation is a recipe for disaster.

How are you going to monitor your air supply if you can't see? How are you going to find your buddy — who might be in full panic mode? How are you going to get out if you can't think straight? Becoming comfortable in these conditions far in advance of being faced with them can turn a deadly situation into an inconvenience.

OK, so how do I learn?
You don't need an instructor for this. You have no idea how long it will take; it is almost entirely mental preparation. You need to feel alone. Have a buddy on the surface watching your bubbles if you feel it necessary. You don't need to be in more than 5-8' (1500-2400mm) of water.

Find some shallow ink-black water in a safe location to practice in. Try to perceive as much as possible from your other senses — but wear gloves. It is best to find a mud bottom and stir it up if necessary. If that is too difficult, start by blacking out your mask with tape or turning your light off on night dives, but remember that is isn't quite the same. I have no idea why. Make sure you graduate to black water during the day. You will be amazed what you can learn in water shallow enough to stand up in.

I was lucky. One of my six days of ocean dives in Scuba school was devoted to black water. The instructor would tie a large nut onto a ping pong ball with about 3' (1 M) of string. Then he distributed about 30 of them in really shallow water with a mud bottom and zippo vis. Competition between students to recover the most ping pong balls earned them two air fills and coveted bragging rights. The desire to win and not look like a wimp probably helped this all-male class. I didn't appreciate it at the time, but those dives made my first night dive really easy along with US Navy Diving School years later.

When is it enough?
You will know. Air consumption will be at or near normal, you won't flinch every time something touches you, and you can start to "see" with your hands. Then you are ready to start your wreck class.

I agree, the material has enough useful sense for upgrading my even simple wreck courses, to more safe, skillful and conscious manners and reactions of students! Will call this exercise "Diving by Braille" for sure :wink:
Knowing how ships are built also can be extremly important especially for guids, instuctors and explorers...

Knowing how ships are built also can be extremly important especially for guids, instuctors and explorers..
This ^^^
And how it all feels strange going into a wreck laying on its side.
There is one here that settled on its side and I remember the odd feeling, OK, think sideways , rotate it in your head, it is safe enough if you know the ship [and I know it well] , I also remember thinking 'it is only a matter of time before a diver will become disoriented and the outcome will not be good'.
Knowing my way around a vessel saved my sorry arse in 1985 in a wreck, don't ask, it has been posted here before and I am over it [in denial more like], still shudder at the thought of 'what if' .o_O

How do you know when PADI Wreck cert is no longer adequate and you should take TDI Advanced Wreck ? What is the defining line ?

How do you know when PADI Wreck cert is no longer adequate and you should take TDI Advanced Wreck ? What is the defining line ?
Diving inside a wreck is different ball game than diving outside. There are many things to consider ie. how to exist(overhead environment), not kicking up silt, lost buddies/line, gas management etc etc.

When I looked at the PADI wreck cert there wasn't much of any penetration taught in the class so I wasn't sure what the purpose was for it? Not sure if that was the instructor or PADI?

Not sure if that was the instructor or PADI?

Isn't that the case with most courses? Great instructors will always go beyond the minimum requirements of an agency.

Anyone who is really serious about wreck diving might look into taking an advanced wreck course on the Odyssey in Truk. I think they still offer courses on the liveaboard. The value is you can pick the brains of their super-experienced dive guides the whole trip and do some great diving at the same time.

Diving inside a wreck is different ball game than diving outside. There are many things to consider ie. how to exist(overhead environment), not kicking up silt, lost buddies/line, gas management etc etc.
Summarised as technical diving with technical skills and kit.

When I looked at the PADI wreck cert there wasn't much of any penetration taught in the class so I wasn't sure what the purpose was for it? Not sure if that was the instructor or PADI?
I wrote a detailed explanation of the issues with the PADI wreck course a few years ago after lengthy discussions with them. The course is frankly long out of date and in need of rewriting. I identified several serious problems with it, and they asked me to suggest different wording for key ideas. They liked what I wrote and said they would use it when the course was rewritten. They paraphrased my language in an article about wreck "penetrations" in their professional journal (Undersea Journal) a few years ago. Yes, they gave me credit.

I put the word penetration in quotations above because that word is a significant part of the problem. The way they use the word is not the way the rest of the English speaking world uses the word. The course says you can never penetrate a wreck without running line. As the rest of the world uses the word, that is absurd. You have to run line to enter one side of a wheelhouse and exit the other side, 10 feet away? What they mean by penetration, however, is an entrance into a wreck in which the diver enters, explores, and then returns to the entry point. If you enter in one location, swim through a short passageway, and then exit somewhere else, which is how 90% of wreck diving is done, that is not a penetration. That is a swim-through. They consider swim-throughs in general to be open water, and they are not even mentioned in the course.

My language differentiates between a swim-through and a line-following penetration. It goes further than that and identifies the complications that turn a simple swim-through that can be done by just about everyone and another that requires special training. I did the same with penetrations. The new language talks about the kind of judgment required to be able to judge when one's training, experience, and equipment is suitable for an intended entry into a wreck.

Back
Top Bottom