Wreck Penetration

Do you consider penetration wreck diving to be technical diving?

• Yes

Votes: 128 55.4%
  • No

Votes: 21 9.1%
  • It depends

Votes: 82 35.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless you survived a trip into the engine room (in which case I want to rub your head for good luck and recommend you buy lottery tickets), it's hard to get trapped in the Keystorm. The huge hatches on the cargo holds have been removed, and there's nothing inside to get hung up on.

Terry

SSSHHHHHH! People may be listening. Went in thru the windows and down the past the railings into the stern. Did not get as far as the engine room. That's for next trip but done properly this time.

I hope that your not using line reels for ice diving. Thats a invit to dieing. you get to far from the hole and have a problem and you cant reel in fast enough and die.

Never said anything about using a reel for the ice. We were using surface tenders with 100ft lines. I mentioned the ice diving as a note regarding a new appreciation for overheads in general.

there are ships cleaned & 'sanitized' & sunk on purpose, with hatches & doors & wires removed. i don't think doing a swimthrough on one of these is either a penetration *or* a technical dive.

if it's the equivalent of going through the school bus in the local quarry, it ain't technical.

(my definition of 'tech' is overhead, hard or soft, but if your feet hang out on one end and your head is coming through the other...well... :D )

A swim thru no, you are right but I personally saw a diver get to close to the ceiling in a room on the Grove and have to stop to free a hose from a light fixture thingie. But just because it's been sanitized does not make it safe as the three men who died in the Spiegel proved when they got stupid and did not make it out.

Absolutely not! I do not recognize the concept of "technical diving."

That's because there are many different definitions of the term and even if everyone were to agree on one definition, the designation would still be useless.

About 20 years ago somebody coined the term to encompass a bunch of unrelated activities. At first it meant dives that broke rules established by agencies. Now, it's trying to (and succeeding in many cases) make new rules to put "technical" diving within another set of rules. Later folks started including established, although not mainstream, specialties, like cave diving, in with the other unrelated types of diving under the "technical" umbrella. "Technical" diving is a meaningless term. It means too many things to too many people. When you say "technical" diving I have no idea if you are referring to cave, mixed gas, solo, deep air, something else or a combination. If you are interested in mixed gas; refer to mixed gas; if it's cave; refer to cave, etc. Your message will be much clearer. Expertise in one type of "technical" diving does not carry over into another. "Technical" diving is a useless distinction that IMHO we should all stop using.

I agree with what you're saying. I would think though that there is a distinction between what is taught as recreational diving and what goes beyond those limits.

For the most part, if the penetration involves any of the following, I would consider it techincal:
1. Loss of natural light from an available exit
2. Potential for silty conditions
3. Possibility of entanglement
4. Area not big enough for two divers to maneuver, turn around, and buddy breathe with a short hose
5. Deeper than 100 feet or distance to surface is more than 100 feet.
6. Exit is more than 20 or 30(maybe more, maybe less???) linear feet away

If the above do not apply and it is a swim through with natural light such as a wheelhouse or down a hallway with cutouts, I would not consider it a tec dive.

NatureDiver:
I would think though that there is a distinction between what is taught as recreational diving and what goes beyond those limits.

Recreational diving is diving for recreation or fun. We all have limits in our diving and we all know (I hope) what those limits are. Your limit might be not to penetrate at all or it might be not to penetrate beyond a swim through. Calling an activity beyond a particular limit "technical" serves no purpose unless that's the only thing you call "technical." I've been making what some would call technical dives for over 20 years, but what does that tell you about my diving? Not much. Am I a cave diver? Am I a wreck diver? Am I a mixed gas diver? Am I a deep diver? Am I a deco diver? Am I a rebreather diver? You can't tell from the fact some call me a technical diver. The answers are yes to half of the questions, no to the other half. The term is useless and I don't use it.

There are distinctions between lots of different types of diving. Competence in one area does not translate into competence in another.

Recreational diving is diving for recreation or fun. We all have limits in our diving and we all know (I hope) what those limits are. Your limit might be not to penetrate at all or it might be not to penetrate beyond a swim through. Calling an activity beyond a particular limit "technical" serves no purpose unless that's the only thing you call "technical." I've been making what some would call technical dives for over 20 years, but what does that tell you about my diving? Not much. Am I a cave diver? Am I a wreck diver? Am I a mixed gas diver? Am I a deep diver? Am I a deco diver? Am I a rebreather diver? You can't tell from the fact some call me a technical diver. The answers are yes to half of the questions, no to the other half. The term is useless and I don't use it.

There are distinctions between lots of different types of diving. Competence in one area does not translate into competence in another.

I see. Thanks!

The only time I might use the term is when describing to an OW student what more advanced possibilities are out there, as in "first get comfortable with the basics and gather experience, then you can start to explore more technical activities such as trimix, penetrations etc."
But I agree with the consensus in the thread, saying you are a technical diver is quite non-descriptive and pointless. If someone is really interested in hearing what type of diving I do, I'd say I've been in some wrecks, caves, I sometimes use mixed gasses etc.

The only time I might use the term is when describing to an OW student what more advanced possibilities are out there, as in "first get comfortable with the basics and gather experience, then you can start to explore more technical activities such as trimix, penetrations etc."
But I agree with the consensus in the thread, saying you are a technical diver is quite non-descriptive and pointless. If someone is really interested in hearing what type of diving I do, I'd say I've been in some wrecks, caves, I sometimes use mixed gasses etc.

That makes sense but if I ask someone what kind of diving they do and they answer that they do some technical diving, I can assume that they mean any one of those things but it can give me an idea of their experience level.

1. Loss of natural light from an available exit
2. Potential for silty conditions
3. Possibility of entanglement
4. Area not big enough for two divers to maneuver, turn around, and buddy breathe with a short hose
5. Deeper than 100 feet or distance to surface is more than 100 feet.
6. Exit is more than 20 or 30(maybe more, maybe less???) linear feet away

I'm not as averse to the term "technical diving" as Walter is, but I certainly don't think there is a bright line. Diving begins with a shallow reef dive in good visibility (and swimming through a small, sanitized wreck or bus or airplane here is something I think few people would term a "technical" dive) and proceed to get more complex as depth, dark, water conditions, the nature of the "wreck" and the conditions inside it change. At some point, one must seriously consider the "what ifs" and do some contingency planning, and incorporate some redundancy into critical systems. At that point, dive planning becomes more detailed, and the level of skill and experience required of the divers increases. These really are the hallmarks of a "technical" dive of any sort.

I swam through the Rhone wreck in the BVI in a single tank and I was completely cheerful and unperturbed about doing it. (Photo of a friend in that wreck is HERE.) But I would consider penetration of the wrecks in Nanaimo, which have been "sanitized", to be much more of a "technical" dive, in that I would be diving a thirds gas plan, in doubles, running line, and probably carrying a deco gas. The penetration areas of those wrecks lie below 100 feet, in the dark, and the wreck is silty, and any delay is going to result in really mandatory decompression.

Back
Top Bottom