Wreck penetration and queuing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, but we are not talking here about divers who undergo further training. It's about those who don't and what's being said that some regulations are only for training and can be forgotten afterwards.

Agency standards are not regulations. Agencies do not make or enforce regulations ... they provide training standards, and their purpose is to specify what the instructor teaching for that agency must teach in a given class ... and in a lot of cases how it must be taught. The limits they provide to students are recommendations ... not regulations. Once you're out of class, neither PADI nor any other agency has any authority to tell you how to dive. They only have the authority to tell their own instructors how to conduct their class.

What you choose to "forget" once class is over is your business, and the only agency I know of that will revoke your c-card for violating standards after class is done is GUE.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This discussion wil never get anywhere as long as we consider an arch the same as a wreck penitration. This has always been the main problem with techies answer recreational questions to thier standards . It is not fair to treat the issue in this manor. There are those that say an OW card is good to 130'. Logically that makes the course a non limitation course as 130 is recreational limit. And in that regard, to follow step why should 130 be a limit. We send new people to training for OW they are taught skills that cover them to 60' and somehow that means nothing. And yet some of the same proponents will say you will kill your self if you dont have 3 lights with you in a pool. How does any one reconcile this. Why is there an AOW course if it teaches you nothing. Personally if you show me a OW card that card defines your limits. An AOW defines andother set of limits. All skill based limits of course. There are those that say its the skill that counts not the card. And yet there are those that are not covered by thier life insurance because they were not diving with in thier trained linits. I wish i could remember the doc that my other half had signed , I think it was the student jacket, it included items like written test errors have been explained and that the student understands the correct answer along with acknoledging the OW course limits place on future non instructional diving. Tjhe statements were very up front. The training you have recieved enables you to safely dive to a max depth of 60 ft, you acknoledge you will not with in excess of ndl, you will not use gasses other than air. you will not dive in overhead environments. She had to sign off on each of these before she could get her temp card. I have her PADI book in my hand. On page 235 (END OF THE BOOK, SUMARY STUFF)is the section that states the depth limits of the OW training. I have been in a number of threads that involved limits, so when i saw she had to initial each diving limitation listed on her student folder,,,, I was connvinced that the course had written limits put on the student and that those limits were specifically individually acknoledged by the student. ITS BEYOND ME.

Agency standards are not regulations. Agencies do not make or enforce regulations ... they provide training standards, and their purpose is to specify what the instructor teaching for that agency must teach in a given class ... and in a lot of cases how it must be taught. The limits they provide to students are recommendations ... not regulations. Once you're out of class, neither PADI nor any other agency has any authority to tell you how to dive. They only have the authority to tell their own instructors how to conduct their class.

What you choose to "forget" once class is over is your business, and the only agency I know of that will revoke your c-card for violating standards after class is done is GUE.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Not only are the standards for instruction, but also for the dive professionals operating under that agency, no? And oftentimes dive centers are even more strict than the agencies (in, for instance, requiring certain specialties).
So, in one hand, we have people saying that beyond instruction divers can forget the limits, on the other hand there are stupidly strict dive centers. I guess it depends on what gives them more money...

And isn't there a conflict between training and what is said and practice afterwards? Simple overheads are fine? How about proper caves? Why aren't those ok? Or trimix? What's the need for an OW diver to do any more training? In many threads we read users saying "You shouldn't be doing that dive", "Get training" and now it seems to be "The limits are recommendations". Seems a very weak position.

And your view is very US-centric. In many other countries there are laws for diving that require certification and where divers are indeed limited to their certification standards.
Even where there are no laws, does it make sense not to try to set some rules, which are directly related to what has been taught to the students? There may not be scuba police and people are free to kill themselves whatever way they want, but should we think that's fine?

Not only are the standards for instruction, but also for the dive professionals operating under that agency, no? And oftentimes dive centers are even more strict than the agencies (in, for instance, requiring certain specialties).
So, in one hand, we have people saying that beyond instruction divers can forget the limits, on the other hand there are stupidly strict dive centers. I guess it depends on what gives them more money...

And isn't there a conflict between training and what is said and practice afterwards? Simple overheads are fine? How about proper caves? Why aren't those ok? Or trimix? What's the need for an OW diver to do any more training? In many threads we read users saying "You shouldn't be doing that dive", "Get training" and now it seems to be "The limits are recommendations". Seems a very weak position.

And your view is very US-centric. In many other countries there are laws for diving that require certification and where divers are indeed limited to their certification standards.
Even where there are no laws, does it make sense not to try to set some rules, which are directly related to what has been taught to the students? There may not be scuba police and people are free to kill themselves whatever way they want, but should we think that's fine?

As with most things scuba, the answer to most of your questions would be "it depends". Diving is very circumstantial ... environments, people, agencies, and just about everything else associated with the activity differs depending on who you're talking about and where they're diving. That's why so much of the information provided on ScubaBoard ... or even in a typical dive class ... can't be universally applied.

I don't believe that, as a dive professional, I'm under any obligation outside of classes to "operate under that agency" ... that agency tells me how to structure my classes in a way that not only provides a safe environment but covers me from a liability perspective. The agency tells me how and what I can teach as a representative of the agency ... but they're not my parent, and when I'm diving on my own time I'll make my own decisions about what's appropriate. As an example, my agency is quite adamant about "no solo diving" ... no exceptions in their standards. And yet I solo dive quite a lot ... I just don't do it in class, and don't promote it to my students. For those who are curious about it, I'll explain that there are agencies out there with different philosophies and recommend that they seek out those classes or learn it as I did ... through technical training that goes into far more depth on issues of redundancy, dive planning, gas management, and situational awareness than the recreational solo classes do.

I don't see as many conflicts as a lot of people involved in most of this type of discussion on ScubaBoard ... because I don't live by or profess to hard rules for scuba diving. What I try to instill in my students is that diving is all about making good decisions, using common sense, and keeping a realistic perspective on your own abilities. People who do that are able to look at changing situations and make decisions that will avoid most problems, and manage the ones they can't avoid before they become unmanageable. I won't give my students hard rules like "stay out of overheads without proper training" ... I'll explain to them why I think it's a really bad idea and assume that they're smart enough to decide for themselves how much risk they want to take ... if they can't handle making reasonable decisions, then they don't belong on scuba gear ... and I'm not signing on as a nanny. When you read posts with lines like "You shouldn't be doing that dive" or "Get training", it's usually the results of something someone posted that clearly indicates someone is doing something without having considered the risks ... or is completely ignorant of what those risks are. It's often easier to make those comments than to explain why ... or more often than not, those of us who try to explain why invariably have our posts picked apart by someone who just can't resist picking six words out of a lengthy post and making it out to seem something that was never said in an effort to make themselves look more knowledgeable. Such posts invariably descend into the realm of the absurd, and usually cause those of us trying to be helpful to just decide that it's not worth our time to attempt to continue the conversation. I see this very thread heading off in that direction ... as most in this forum usually do.

Yes, I know my view is very US-centric ... that's where I teach, that's where I do most of my diving, and therefore that's the perspective I can mostly contribute to the conversation. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. I've been to the Maldives, have so far managed to avoid the Caymans, and won't even consider diving in France ... three nations that are famous for their governmental interference in diving decisions. But in fact there are also places in the USA where local governments pass laws that interfere with what should be a person's personal decisions ... like the attempts in Laguna a few years ago to mandate buddies and snorkels ... both laws caused many people to stop going there, and eventually the merchants who were losing money as a result convinced their local officials to drop those silly ordinances.

No, I do not think it's fine that people sometimes make poor diving decisions that result in tragic outcomes ... but I think the notion of some government entity or diving agency managing everyone else's dive plan for them is an even worse alternative. When scuba diving as an activity reaches the point where some bureaucrat decides how I should dive, I'll stop diving and take up some other activity that gives me the freedom to exercise personal responsibility and live (or not) with the consequences of my decisions. I don't need or want someone else assuming the role of protecting me from myself ... nor would I find that a very attractive way to train other divers. Diving competence is defined as much by a diver's ability to take responsibility for their own safety as it is the physical skills that are learned in a classroom. That's a point that isn't emphasized enough in a lot of classes ... and for which I attribute primarily to the abysmally low standards that allow someone to become an instructor while they still barely know how to dive.

There's way more to diving than what's "in the book" ... whether that's the student materials or the agency standards we're considering. You can't learn what you don't know as long as you're willing (or forced) to just blindly apply rules of thumb without understanding why those rules exist in the first place. And a big part of that understanding comes from knowing when the application of that rule doesn't really make much sense. "The limits are recommendations" isn't a weak position at all ... it's a jump-off point to the most important question in all of scuba diving ...

"Why?"

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The issue of limitations by the agencies is somewhat moot in the eyes of the instructors. It is sthe perception of the trainee's that counts.

They are told bla bla bla and are demostrated in the field the opposite. When you are told not to dive beyond 60' till you get further traiing and you see every time you turn around that that limit is aparently BS hten what other rules concepts is considered the same. Well they said CESA from 6m or less, but I bet you can do it from 30, they probably just said that to KYA. WOW my tank always lasted and hour and now im hiting 500 in 12 minutes. Im in rec depth limits, I dont get it..... And this is a cause for why you find OW's in overhead and cave incidents. Its like a techie saying that I mastered teh 1:1 ratio deco stuff and never had problems with it before and now i went to 250 and it didnt work. Must be the training... (or lack of).]

As long as i am ranting. Allow me to carry the "Its the skills not the card that counts" Just try to do the following actions with the "I have the skills just non papered"

get air
get nitrox
get trimix
get O2 for deco
rent a rebreather
enrole in a cave course
many times rent a dry suit

Are the proponents of "its the skills" saying that even though they are not certified they should be able to do these things. Its one thing to do these things but the shops will not be party to it by enableing you to harm your self. The only exception i have noticed is you can get air without a card but only if you promise it is for non diving. (auto air shocks, or paintpall) So once agin it is not fair to attempt deliniation between what you can do adn what the system will support you doing. When if comes down to it you CAN do nitrox to 500 ft, but you wont do it on the shops equipment if they know what yo are going to do. You can p[hysically go into any cave. No one will support you doing it.

Lastly why is it the tech side of things that are always aware of training being the foundation of safe diving and getting back to the surface with gas and no complications, while the rec side believes its the checkbook that determines what you can or can not do. Or why will a techie tell you your cavern card does not cover you in the cave, but a boat operator says OW card 8 dives logged sure why not ots only a100 ft, give me you money , sign this waiver and lets go.

---------- Post added July 13th, 2014 at 04:49 PM ----------

So its an agency standard to use a pony when divng solo, and not a regulaton? You dont enforce the standard unless it is during periods of training. Once the diver leaves the training environment all limits, sorry standards of off the table. HAVE WE JUST GONE FULL CIRCLE.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Not only are the standards for instruction, but also for the dive professionals operating under that agency, no?

No.

When I am working as a professional for either of the agencies for which I teach, I am required to follow their published guidelines. That is for student safety. It also protects me legally in the case of an incident. If I were to be sued and showed that everything I did in the class was within well established guidelines, it would be nearly impossible for me to be held liable.

When I am diving on my own, I can usually do whatever I want. A good example is the use of a snorkel. I am required to have a snorkel when I teach students. I do. I just got back from such a class. I do not wear one when I am diving on my own. If I am in an environment when I think it might come in useful in an emergency, I stuff one in a pocket. I make that decision for my diving. The only time someone else made that decision for me was in Australia, where snorkels are required by law.

Thanks Bob for the comment, you just spoke the feelings of every diver that sides with MYOB and dont believe in tattletale's or scuba police.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So its an agency standard to use a pony when divng solo, and not a regulaton? You dont enforce the standard unless it is during periods of training. Once the diver leaves the training environment all limits, sorry standards of off the table. HAVE WE JUST GONE FULL CIRCLE.

Once more with feeling...

The agencies provide training, and you follow those rules during training. Once the training is over, they have no authority to require anything. They are not the police, and they do not make laws.

I took calculus in college well over 40 years ago. I passed. In life I had no call for it, and any memory of it has long passed. I have tried to read some of Bruce Weinke's work, and all the math in it blows me away. I admit it. In admitting it, however, I am not afraid that my college Calculus professor is going to withdraw my passing grade and thus make me ineligible for my diploma. As a professional teaching my class, he was authorized to oversee and judge my calculus performance. If he tried to do that now, I would certainly tell him where he could stuff it.

That is spoken purely from the instructor liability point of view. Would you after teaching that your provided training is not adaquate to engage in overhead environments give a student thier OW temp card and then say lets go penatrate something and do a little deco because your limitations do not apply outside the training environment.

Once more with feeling...

The agencies provide training, and you follow those rules during training. Once the training is over, they have no authority to require anything. They are not the police, and they do not make laws.

I took calculus in college well over 40 years ago. I passed. In life I had no call for it, and any memory of it has long passed. I have tried to read some of Bruce Weinke's work, and all the math in it blows me away. I admit it. In admitting it, however, I am not afraid that my college Calculus professor is going to withdraw my passing grade and thus make me ineligible for my diploma. As a professional teaching my class, he was authorized to oversee and judge my calculus performance. If he tried to do that now, I would certainly tell him where he could stuff it.

I have a hard time understanding what you're getting at a lot of times. But since this was directed at me, I have a couple of questions I'd like you to answer ...

- Whose regulation is it to use a pony when diving solo? And who enforces that regulation?
- When did I ever say or imply that "once the diver leaves the training environment all limits, sorry standards of off the table"?

I attempted to explain what the purpose of standards are. If you don't want to accept my explanation, that's your right ... but I'll thank you to please stop misrepresenting what I said. It's really difficult to have a reasonable conversation with someone who does that ... it makes you come off as either dumb, belligerent, or dishonest.

In the context of this discussion, the rule to use a pony for solo diving comes neither from an agency nor from any regulatory body ... it comes from the owner of the private property where this person is diving. In effect, you're purchasing a service from a business ... and that business gets to define the terms of service. It has nothing at all to do with agencies or regulations.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added July 13th, 2014 at 03:36 PM ----------

Thanks Bob for the comment, you just spoke the feelings of every diver that sides with MYOB and dont believe in tattletale's or scuba police.

... once again ... my comment has nothing to do with MYOB ... it has everything to do with personal responsibility. If you do something that endangers or inconveniences other people, then damn straight they have a right to say something about it. You may have the right to do what you did ... but you also have the responsibility to deal with the consequences of your choice.

With rights come responsibilities ... you cannot have one without the other ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom