Wreck or Reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A wreck. In all honestly, I get bored on most reef dives. I know a lot of people get fascinated with all the different critters but I get enough of that in my day job.

Depends, not all reefs and wrecks are the same. I am fortunate as a normal dive outing in my area consists of one wreck followed by two reef dives. Variety is the key IMO, so different reefs and wrecks are always welcomed.

Would you rather dive a Wreck or Reef?

Real wreck or Artificial reef?

I'll take a real wreck over a reef but a reef over an artificial reef.

How about 65 year old wrecks that are now essentially reef ecosystems all their own?

Truk Lagoon

My last dive brought vision of some crayfish, a sign, b-b-q, a toilet and a car.

I thought it was fabulous.

I guess I don't have a preference yet, but I'd assume that I'd like fishies more than dirty sunken boats.

Last edited:
It's a tricky question. Most reefs are..reefs.

Most "wrecks" are tourist attractions welded shut and made happy for the paying customers.

Either way you will see fish and if that is what you are paying for you will be fine.

I am fascinated by healthy coral reefs so I prefer a reef dive to a wreck dive.

No question, A reef dive. Humans can always drop a ship into the sea. But making a great reef... Now that's a challenge. I simply can not understand the fascination with wrecks. To me, the life found on the reef is far more enjoyable. Being knowledgeable about the animals that live there just adds to it. I can't wait to be back on a healthy reef again!

Not to sit on the fence or anything like that...

But I like doing both at the same time. A wreck overgrown with marine life is a sight to behold. The Yongala in Australia makes my top 10. I can also recall some lesser known sites that are wrecks of planes and ships that are just covered with growth and teeming with fish. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom