Wreck of the Mama Vina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mexman

Reaction score
Just returned from a quick one week business trip to Playa del Carmen (I know life sucks) and managed to get in a few of the requisite dives in between wearing a suit.

In addition to doing some of the local drift and wall dives that I've done before, I managed to dive a great little wreck just south of Xcaret that I thought others might be interested in visiting.

The Mama Vina is steel hulled trawler that was intentionally sunk in 1996 by the owner of Xcaret. The wreck sit in about 30m/96ft of water and has been dragged to its current position by the strong currents that frequent the area.

There were plenty of jacks, turtles and a large resident barracuda hanging around the wreck. Although having spent only a few years on the ocean floor, there are plenty of coral and stinging hydroids covering the wreck. (Unfortunately I was inattentive while exiting the wreck and still have the welts on the back of my hand to prove it!)

This is not a difficult dive but should be considered advanced due to the depth, current and overhead environment. A great introduction to wreck diving for those with proper training.:)

Hey mex:)

Just got back from Playa a few weeks ago. Who did you dive with?

We did the Mama Vina and its definitely a fun wreck. The current can get a crazy but overall is a pretty simple dive. The wreck is covered in fire coral so you really have to watch yourself. After our SI we headed over to Tortugas and saw a Hammerhead.....:D The dive op said they had only seen 1 other shark in that area in years so we felt very LUCKY to have been able to see it!

While staying at the Iberostar Tucan on business, I dove with Dressel Divers. They operate out of all the Iberostar hotels and their operation in Cozumel is quite impressive. They don't seem set up for any real technical diving, although they run the regular cenote dive trips.

Yes the current does make the diving fun, otherwise it would just be junkyard dive!

I wasn't lucky enough to see any sharks on this trip but stop counting the large tortugas once I hit 20 on a drift dive north of Xcaret.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom