Wreck of the Heroine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sean222

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
For any of you folks out there that dive the Heroine and are interested in what she looked like. Here is a photo that I ran across in my research at Mystic Seaport last November. I had forgotten about it until I was talking to my friend Gary Gentile( we can talk about obscure wrecks for hours) and I remembered the picture. So here it is for the viewers. You will note that she doesn't look like the usual Fishing Trawler. That is because she use to be the Brigantine Aloha I, a sailing Yacht owned by Arthur Curtis James, Built in 1899 I believe.

Attachments

• Heroine.jpg
    Heroine.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 392
Nice John!
If anyone is curious, here is a shot of her bow as it looks today for comparison (I shot this last August).

IMG_1789.jpg

Very nice.

As you may know John, Dave Clancy also has a neat picture of the Heroine which Gary provided on his site with her under sail: http://www.wreckhunter.net/images/heroine-gentile.JPG

As we all know, that looks nothing like it today.

Dennis

wreckedinri:
Very nice.

As you may know John, Dave Clancy also has a neat picture of the Heroine which Gary provided on his site with her under sail: http://www.wreckhunter.net/images/heroine-gentile.JPG

As we all know, that looks nothing like it today.

Dennis
I know. I procured that view many years ago from Mystic,but they didn;t have this view that I just posted when I was doing my research for our book, Rhode Island Adventure Diving I & II.

Is it just me or is one photo a steam trawler (which she was) and the other a Briganten (which she was not)?

Is the anchor still laying aganst the bow? I haven't been on her in a few years.

Gilldiver:
Is it just me or is one photo a steam trawler (which she was) and the other a Briganten (which she was not)?

It does appear that way. However, the hull looks the same. I don't know the complete history of the vessel other than that it was last used as a fishing vessel. Could she have been converted from sail to steam?

Maybe John (Sean222) has more information.

I know there are a few articals on her loss in the NY Times from when she sank. I saw them one time long ago. If I get a chance I'll look them up again.

As for the two ships, I would not be suprised if tow Heroine's were lost in the area and they have just become mixed up.

Gilldiver:
I know there are a few articals on her loss in the NY Times from when she sank. I saw them one time long ago. If I get a chance I'll look them up again.

As for the two ships, I would not be suprised if tow Heroine's were lost in the area and they have just become mixed up.

They are one and the same. The Aloha I was sold. Her sail rig stripped and she was converted into a steam Trawler. You can even see were they cut off the "Clipper" bow
after conversion.

Im chip, i am a new member, i have info about the heroine (aloha).
My grandfather (capt. R p fuller was a deck hand on the aloha as a young lad back in 1910, he went on his first voyage across to leath scotland in 1910. I have a phot of him taken in scotland, which shows him in his aloha uniform, and also a letter he wrote from the aloha while he was there, the letter was written on aloha stationary and the name aloha can be seen at the top of each page. Also the name aloha can be seen very plainly on the uniform. I am most interested when i found the photos, video and info about the heroine ( aloha) on this website. What a nice surprise.
Would love to see more on all this.
Kind regards
george fuller

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom