Wreck locations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try Thunder Bay in Lake Huron. There is a NOAA Shipwreck building there. Dozens of rec depht sites as well as deep sites. Sites are bouyed during summer, easy to anchor. Old schooners and ships you can not find anywhere else except Great Lakes. There are several good guidebooks to the lakes, Kohl has a good one.

If you're looking for something warmer try the Virgin Islands.

Specifically a few days on St. Thomas then one of the BVI's - either Tortola or Virgin Gorda. Fly into St. Thomas and fast ferry to the BVI's - about an hour to Tortola, 1-1/2 hrs. to Virgin Gorda.

St. Thomas has about a dozen wrecks just south of Charlotte Amalie and the BVI's have the Rhone - a two dive wreck that's one of the best.

Most of these are wrecks: Blue Island Divers Dive SItes and many are shallow - 40'+. I don't know which are penetrable as we dove the reefs instead.

The Rhone is a huge ship from the 1800's that broke apart off Salt Island. It sits about 70'. The front it penetrable - most of my group did it as there's lots of ways out. No one in our group was more than AOW at the time.

It's where they filmed The Deep with Jacqueline Bisset. The back is more flattened but there's some structure still remaining you can swim along/under. Also lots of big machinery on deck and the prop you can swim under - it's about 15' tall. It's the BVI's signature wreck shot - at one time it was featured in their travel ads.

I don't like wrecks and I liked this one. There's also a small plane wreck you can enter at Coral Gardens and enough other wrecks that DiveBVI has a wreck week package next May. Wreck Week 2011 May 28 - June 4

All of the diving (17 dives) we did in a week were in less than 80'. And the water was swimsuit warm in late April.

What are some of your favorite wreck dives that are penetrable and that isn't too deep. When I mean isn't too deep, like I don't need to specially trained in trimix or something. oh and in cased your wondering I do have my C card for enriched air.

I'm just looking into future wreck diving spots and was looking for some input. Google and the search function wasn't turning up the results I wanted so I figured I would just post something.

thnx

You should look at the wrecks of Coron/Busuanga Island, Philippines. More then 12 wrecks from 50 to 180 meters in length. Great dives, not deeper then 45 meters and open for any type's of penetration, very mild to advanced wreck.

Back
Top Bottom