Wreck in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Monkey

Registered
Reaction score
I am headed down to Cozumel in about a month, and I was wondering about the wreck they recently sunk ( within the last couple of years ) Is it a decent dive, or should I just stick to the reefs.

If I remember correctly it was a ship that was comissioned as part the Mexican Coast Guard or Navy. I wasn't sure if it had time to develop as an artifical reef or not.

Later,
Dive Monkey

Dive Monkey:
I am headed down to Cozumel in about a month, and I was wondering about the wreck they recently sunk ( within the last couple of years ) Is it a decent dive, or should I just stick to the reefs.

If I remember correctly it was a ship that was comissioned as part the Mexican Coast Guard or Navy. I wasn't sure if it had time to develop as an artifical reef or not.

Later,
Dive Monkey
IIRC it was a US minesweeper that was donated to the Mexican government. They used it for drug patrols before they sank it. If you are a big rec diver you'll find it boring. If you are not it is a fascinating dive but it tends toward the "Caribean" idea of safety...

James

DiveMonkey, I went to Coz for the first time last October. I had seen the ship and thought WOW, this will be cool. Well, it was OK but not near as neat as I thought it would be. We saw a barracuda and a large grouper but that was about all the excitement on the ship. You just kind of swim through the thing. We had some outfit do a video of that dive which was pretty neat and overall I'm glad we did it but I think unless the kiddos want to do it in the future that I'll stick to the reefs where I can see so many more creatures. I'd say do it once just so you can say you did and maybe take some pics but I bet you find you like the other diving more. Good luck with your decision.

Here's a description of the wreck that I wrote up & have posted to this forum on a couple prior occasions:

"The Felipe Xicotencatl, or C-53, was built in Florida in 1944, donated to Mexico by the US in 1962 & retired from service in 1999, having variously served as a minesweeper, anti-drug patrol boat, search and rescue ship, troop transport & Mexican Naval Academy cadet training craft.

She was sunk on June 6, 2000 just outside of Balones de Chankanaab, on a sandy plain between Tormentos & Chankanaab. As such, don't expect to dive anything other than the wreck--the immediate environs are strictly featureless sand flats. All dive ops make regular trips. It could be done as a shore dive from Chankanaab Park under the proper conditions, hitting the Balones de Chankanaab on the way out, but would be a very healthy swim with scant to see in transit. No special certification is needed for this dive, although it most definitely is an overhead environment & the inexperienced diver should understand what this means & be comfortable with it.

Marked by a highly visible buoy, the vessel is 184 feet long & 33 feet wide, and consists of 4 decks. The sinking job by the Mexican Navy & wreck experts was quite remarkable in that it rests almost perfectly upright & flat with the bow facing SSE & stern NNW. According to my depth gauge, the superstructure starts at 26', the main deck at 54' & the bottom, which is secured to prevent movement in storms, is at 78'. The craft is intact as sunk with the exception of one rudder which is now about 25' to the stern. Do be aware the the Marine Park limits the number of divers that can be on the wreck at any one time, so book ahead.

While the wreck is not especially tight inside if you follow the marked route, it is snug at points & of course buoyancy control throughout is a must. There are large plates removed from the sides at regular intervals, which usually provides ample light & a ready escape route. Do be aware, however, that the edges of removed areas are sharp in spots, and there are opportunities to snag/impale yourself on main deck & superstructure features, so best not to go bolting about. Some hydroids & small anemones are taking hold, another reason to watch what you are contacting. The primary route through the boat is marked with penetration line & the occasional tag, and these are easy to follow. There are possible side trips, but I'd suggest you skip them unless wreck experienced. Do take a light if possible.

A good approach is to drop in behind the stern & take in the two massive screws, then raise to the aft most hold & enter through the main deck. The entry is a bit snug, so make sure you don't have a case of the "danglies." Simply follow the line to the fore, which later reverses and takes you back to the aft for exit. There is no need to hurry the dive, as any normal diver will have plenty of bottom time for a leisurely tour of the innards, which include holds & cabins, and exterior.

Not to in anyway discourage divers from doing this enjoyable site, but rather to prepare them, IMHO the wreck currently is a somewhat nasty appearing affair. The first layer of surface growth is well underway and is of the expected green algae, presenting a dirty & scummy mien. That a number of unspeakably boorish divers have written their names/initials in this doesn't make it anymore fetching. The algae has also attracted animal life of somewhat more substantial cortical endowment, such as piles of small, drab snails which look like animal droppings until one gets closer. Finally, the overall atmosphere is not enhanced by heavily peeling paint, gray linoleum tiles starting to detach from the floors & the odd bit of unremoved insulation hanging from the ceiling. I did not observe any traces of petroleum residue, although I understand from contacts there was some present at the time of sinking.

On a brighter note, I did observe a modest sized Nassau Grouper at the stern who apparently likes to take up position in the crow's nest, a couple of modest sized Great Barracuda just below the surface exercising their notorious curiosity, small schools of Glassy Sweepers and Silversides holding forth inside, and a variety of juvenile tropicals. There is every reason to expect that the wreck will continue to encrust & draw fish life, and be quite a nice piece someday."

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I visited Cozumel June 2003 and I dove on the C-53 twice while I was there. I found it very enjoyable, but I suppose it all depends upon what you are looking for.

If you are a big time wreck diving type, then it might be sub-standard for you. It is fairly recent. If you want to explore the Titanic or an ancient wreck, or if you want to practice deep pentration skills, you might be disappointed.

For myself, and the others I was with, it was fabulous. It was only the second sunken ship that I pentrated, and I was amazed at how much time we actully spent inside the wreck (led by a guide).

There are some lines running throughout the ship, and we followed them in places. Other places we just followed the guide. I would have liked to spend a little more time inside the engine compartment. We took pictures of people sitting on the toilets, and it was a juvenile kind of funny. There is a stairway inside that lends itself to some real good photo ops. I also took a nice picture of the propellor and rudder.

There is not a tremendous amount of growth yet, and there are a lot of hanging bits, but I still found it interesting.

According to the guides and the owner of Deep Blue (Matt), most dive operations didn't bother with the wreck for the first several years because it just wasn't all that interesting. However, a large school of bait fish moved into the wreck about 12-13 months ago, and that made things a lot more interesting.

When we were there in June 2003, there were millions of fish in a couple giant "bait-balls" inside the wreck. It was like a giant ball of mercury. They would part to let you through, and then close in behind you. If you extended your hand, the whole group would pulsate with the movements of your hand. They were so dense that you could lose sight of a diver 10 feet in front of you when they filled in between you. It was really cool (IMHO).

Of course when the bait fish show up, the rest are quick to follow. There was a good sized grouper lurking in the shadows inside; at least 3 feet long, not quote 4 feet. He was backed into a corner and he waited for his chance. As one diver exited a large square hole in the port side of the wreck, and the bait ball was caught trying to avoid the outside and the diver, this grouper slashed out through the school gulping a bunch. I had turned to watch an English diver exit behind me, and just saw a blur as the grouper shot out. It was stunning, and the English guy reacted to MY reaction, wondering why my eyes were bugging out. He turned just in time to see Mr. Grouper cruising back in through the opening to continue his vigil.

There were some fair sized barracuda hanging near the wreck until we arrived. They lurked off in the distance until we ascended for our safety stop, then they returned. There was a Nassau grouper hanging around the deck both times I was there. There were also a couple pairs of large angelfish plus some loners. There was drum that "owned" one of the upper deck areas.

There are some doors and portholes at the wheelhouse and above/below it that can provide some great photo ops.

I definitely plan to dive the C-53 on my next visit to Cozumel. I hope that the bait ball is still there. I can't wait to share the wreck with my buddy who missed the last trip to Coz.

Anyway, those are my opinions, for what they are worth.

BTW, I credit the C-53 with introducing me to SB. I had heard people alternatively call the wreck the C-53 or the C-54. I wanted to get my facts straight, so afterwards I searched for info on the wreck. I discovered SB during that search, and the rest is history.

Wristshot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom