Wreck diving in 2 weeks - Suggested exposure protection?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flightlead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi

I'm going to be doing some wrecks in a couple of weeks, including the Governor. I can't find any information about water temps at depth. I'm trying to decide between drysuit and 7mm wetsuit. We'll be doing 5 dives over 2 days.

Can anyone provide me any guidance? If drysuit, suggested undergarments?

Thanks!

dry if you have it - no question.

I would prepare for mid 50's. You could find water are much as 10 degrees warmer if you get into the right water. It just really varies out there right now.

Aquatic Safaris is listing upper 50's for the inshore wrecks right now so I would agree w/ Rich. Dive dry if you can. I'm going out in a couple of weeks and I'll prob wear my CT200 undergarment.

Aquatic Safaris is listing upper 50's for the inshore wrecks right now so I would agree w/ Rich. Dive dry if you can. I'm going out in a couple of weeks and I'll prob wear my CT200 undergarment.

I'm on the same charter with Ryan in a couple of weeks and I'm going dry. I'm going to use my CT200 instead of my Weezle Extreme+ however.

This time of year I would be dry.

Without a doubt I would dive dry, even if you can handle the water temps the SI can be quite cool out on the water. I wear my DUI Polartec 300 fleese with my CF-200. My wife would wear the same with some polypro long johns under it with her TLS-350.

Last week the water temp just about 5 miles south of that area was 61 degrees on the bottom.

A good rule of thumb is that if the water temperature plus air temperature don't equal 130, wear a drysuit. If the water temperature is below 55, wear a drysuit. My guess is that in a couple of weeks...in April, you will have about 60 degrees on the bottom. If you get a nice day topside, a wetsuit may work. Why all the hassle though, when you can just wear a drysuit with light undergarments. I just wear polypro long underwear this time of year......longing for June when I can shed the garbagebag and convert back over to the 3mm jumpsuit.:wink:

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom