Wreck diver killed by leaking computer - UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This isn't how CCRs work. The backup is purely a monitor with no capacity to actually run the solenoid or anything else.

Not all CCRs. Some have secondary controllers.

It doesn't mention anywhere if he had any bailout at all. If he didn't, it would explain why he didn't bail out...

I had a predator with cracks around the boltholes had it repaired.... So do the new controllers have a bezel like the perdix? Might have to look into that...

It doesn't mention anywhere if he had any bailout at all. If he didn't, it would explain why he didn't bail out...

This is what I was wondering. I'm woefully unqualified to make any real comments, and frankly I'm not willing to join another forum just to read a bunch of speculation to get what are likely few verified facts. Based on the article here though, I can't imagine any reason to not bail out, other than not having the option.

I didn't mean to suggest in my last post that rebreathers are safe after an issue arises, simply that options often exist to not force you to abandon the unit. However, one would think that after an initial problem forced you to turn the dive, you'd be obsessively scrutinizing the system until you were safely back on the surface. Again, I have to imagine bailing out would just be easier, if only to remove the mental effort of monitoring your system.

I don't intend this as a jab at anyone, just an honest question from someone with no real insight, about the nature of humanity: to the rebreather divers out there, is there some "unspoken rule" or culturally imposed opinion that bailing off your rebreather is an admission of failure, or that you "weren't good enough to handle it" or something?

I'm not making any suggestion about the specifics of the situation being discussed here, just a philosophical curiosity.

I don't know about rebreathers, but that type of mentality has a long history of killing exceptionally qualified people in other challenging and advanced pursuits.

Not all CCRs. Some have secondary controllers.
1) This was an analog JJ.
2) People have been talking about having a backup controller that "takes over" which no CCR can do. On something like a liberty you would have to tell the other side to take over.

1) This was an analog JJ.
2) People have been talking about having a backup controller that "takes over" which no CCR can do. On something like a liberty you would have to tell the other side to take over.

It was an anlogue JJ.
What you write about no CCR can have a backup controller that takes over isn't the case. The AP Diving rebreathers have always had two controllers. The Slave controller monitors the Master, takes over if the Master drops it's flag and also independently monitors the PO2 - and warns independently and controls the PO2 at 80% of setpoint should the Master not drop it's flag and not control the PO2. If the Master drops it's flag then the Slave controller promotes itself to Master controller immediately, in way less than one second. Both Controllers have their own power supply. Each controller can draw power from the other's power supply or both should the voltage levels drop low enough.

It was an anlogue JJ.
What you write about no CCR can have a backup controller that takes over isn't the case. The AP Diving rebreathers have always had two controllers. The Slave controller monitors the Master, takes over if the Master drops it's flag and also independently monitors the PO2 - and warns independently and controls the PO2 at 80% of setpoint should the Master not drop it's flag and not control the PO2. If the Master drops it's flag then the Slave controller promotes itself to Master controller immediately, in way less than one second. Both Controllers have their own power supply. Each controller can draw power from the other's power supply or both should the voltage levels drop low enough.
Sorry should have been specific to the JJ in this case
You're right, AP has the master slave handshaking which is pretty unique.

Teams are not just 3 people diving in the same vicinity. Yet another story of a guy who got sent off to surface by himself by his buddies and died after running into another problem by himself.
^^^^^This
And dont forget KensUF thread:
Teamwork

This fatality starts and ends with the buddy team separating. At least one of the 3 KNEW that the diver had a equipment problem, yet, for whatever reason, they all lose contact.

If I understood correctly this accident wouldn't have happened with new JJ, because controller getting broken should not affect brains and brain would switch to po0.7

I have a JJ too, and I'm not sure I understand the accident. I have a DiveCAN JJ, which means that if you cut off the controller with a set of trauma shears (like Leon did with a Meg), the system reverts to low setpoint.

But I'm also assuming that there was a HUD, which is the stock backup PO2 display on a JJ (I replaced mine with a NERD).

Yes, bailout is always an option, but I don't see why that would have been the go to plan in this case, at least as I understand it. Dead controller with an older unit that doesn't default to low setpoint? That means that the solenoid stops adding O2, and the PO2 will steadily drift down. But you have the HUD, which is giving you PO2, right? Day one in CCR class is always know your PO2, and in that case you would just fly manually. Why would you need to bail out if you still had PO2 information? Maybe I don't understand the actual situation...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom